AMATEUR football club Cefn Albion will cut short potential celebrations at their FAW Trophy Final at Aberystwyth by leaving straight after the final whistle amid a racism row.

The Welsh National League side are under investigation by the country’s football governing body and the police after Cefn fans are alleged to have racially abused opponents STM Sports.

Two players from the Cardiff-based club complained they were the victims of abuse during the semi-final tie at Newtown’s Latham Park on March 16.

A woman supporter of the South Wales club also alleges she was assaulted in the café at the ground after the game. As a result of the unruly scenes Dyfed-Powys Police confirmed they sent extra officers to the ground.

Now Cefn officials have informed supporters of their decision to leave Aberystwyth’s ground Park Avenue “immediately after the final whistle” is blown on Saturday and head back home regardless of whether they win or lose.

A statement posted on the club’s website said: “Following various communications Cefn Albion Football Club have made the decision to leave Park Avenue immediately after final whistle.

“We will head back to our HQ, the Cefn Mawr Community Social Club in Cefn Mawr and regardless of the outcome everyone involved will be rewarded to say thank you for reaching a cup final of a national competition, a remarkable achievement given the circumstances.”

Cefn, who play their home games at Welsh Premier outfit Cefn Druids’ ground, The Rock, clinched their place in the prestigious final against Pontardawe Town after negotiating five ties – the last seeing them beat STM Sports despite having a player sent off.

Lamin Conteh, one of their opponents who claimed he was picked out for abuse, told ITV News: “As soon as they saw me, they said ‘there’s the black one’. During the game the fans were shouting abuse towards me.”

The other player, Hermon Yohanes, claimed he had to put up with constant insults from Cefn fans during the day and was so upset by the level of abuse he could not face playing in the Welsh Football League Division Two club’s next game.

Dyfed-Powys Police say body-worn footage is being reviewed to see if police action is required.

While officials from STM Sports have voiced their disquiet about Cefn Albion’s participation the Trophy final will go ahead (with a 1.30pm kick-off).

The Football Association of Wales (FAW) is investigating and head of public affairs Ian Gwyn-Hughes said: “As this is an on going issue we are not able to make any comment at the moment. I am not aware of any advice given after the match.”

A statement issued by Cefn Albion chairman Haydn Evans said: "Cefn Albion are aware of the allegations of racist behaviour that have been made about some followers of the Football Club at the FAW Trophy semi-final fixture against STM Sports, which was played at Latham Park, Newtown, on March 16th.

"These allegations have only come to light in the last few days and, prior to their broadcast this week, the club had not been made aware of any issues of this nature surrounding the game.

"Officers from Dyfed-Powys police were on duty at the match and, at this stage Cefn Albion Football club can confirm that we have not received any direct contact from them, STM Sports, or the FAW regarding the matter.

"We at Cefn Albion Football Club pride ourselves on being ambassadors for our community and on providing a welcoming and friendly environment for players and supporters from all backgrounds.

"As a football club we will not tolerate any behaviour which brings our good name into disrepute and should we receive any evidence that verifies racial abuse took place then we will work with the FAW and the police to act accordingly.

"Until then, the club will be making no further comment on this matter and we look forward to our Cup final occasion this weekend which we are sure will be played and watched in a true sporting spirit.

"Fans have, however, been urged to travel to Aberystwyth for the biggest game in the club’s history."