A Wrexham burglar who raided the home of a deceased couple was arrested when he left blood at the scene.

Police got a DNA hit to Glyn Edward Foulkles, who had a number of previous convictions.

At Mold Crown Court, Foulkes, 29, of Idwal, Acrefair, admitted burglary at Park Road, Ruabon, after he was seen at the property, and failing to attend court on an earlier occasion.

He was jailed for a total of 14 months - 12 months for the burglary and two months consecutive for the bail offence.

Judge Merfyn Hughes QC said Foulkes selected a house which he may or may not have considered to be a house where someone was living.

There was property in the house which belonged to the deceased parents of the brothers who owned it.

Judge Hughes said he had heard a victim impact statement in which the level of emotional distress his burglary had caused had been indicated.

Fortunately, it was quickly observed that he had left blood at the scene and a DNA sample matched his profile.

"You were arrested quite rapidly and you had little option but to admit the offence when you were interviewed by the police.

Property to the value of £695 had been stolen and damage had also been caused to the property.

Foulkes, he said, had appeared in court 31 times previously and he had 61 convictions for different offences including theft, burglary and on one occasion robbery. He also had possessed drugs.

"I accept that you did have an issue with taking heroin," said Judge Hughes.

"But that is a problem you have. It does not lessen the seriousness of the offence."

The starting point for his offence was 18 months but he would receive full credit in sentencing for his guilty plea.

It had been a deliberate failure to attend court which had delayed the administration of justice.

He had been at large for about three months and a consecutive sentence was called for.

Prosecuting barrister Simon Mintz said it was the prosecution case that the premises were obviously un-occupied to passers-by.

The defendant had made an untidy search after claiming that he entered the property in order to find somewhere to sleep.

Mr Mintz read a victim impact statement from Stephen Davies who said the property was owned by his deceased parents and it was full of their possessions.

It was upsetting that their home had been intruded upon and all their belongings had been searched by someone who did not care about them of their belongings.

He had suffered sleepless nights worrying that the property would be burgled again.

A window and door had been damaged and there had been a financial impact for him and his brother because a window and door had been damaged and had to be repaired.

Defending barrister Maria Massellis said that he was remorseful and while he had a previous conviction for burglary it was a considerable time before. He had believed the property to be unoccupied and had been looking for somewhere to sleep.

He had an addiction to heroin, he had never had a father figure as a child and he left school at 14 with no qualifications.

In reality he had never had work.

His life had been chaotic, moving from one temporary address to another.