A BLAZE which ripped through the roof of a Nercwys home was caused by heat from a chimney, fire chiefs have concluded.

Yesterday the Leader reported how North Wales Fire and Rescue Service was called to a report of a fire at an address on Ffordd Pen y Bryn shortly before 10pm on Tuesday.

An investigation was launched to find the cause of the blaze, which damaged most of the property's thatched roof.

Fire chiefs have now concluded that the incident was the result of radiated heat from the steel chimney liner.

A spokesman said the heat ignited the thatched roof or a birds nest through a hole in the chimney, adding that the incident had been classified as accidental.

Four crews attended the incident, two from Deeside and one from Mold and Buckley.

The firefighters used four sets of breathing apparatus and two hose reel jets to tackle the flames.

A spokesman for North Wales Fire and Rescue Service said: "Residents with thatched roofs are advised to ensure their property has appropriate chimney insulation, to have the chimney inspected by a qualified chimney engineer and to consider a chimney spark arrestor.

"It is also important to have smoke alarms installed throughout the home with an interlinked alarm in the loft space."

North Wales Fire and Rescue Service also offers tips on chimney safety - as well as other home fire safety advice - on the website: www.nwales-fireservice.org.uk/home/