A MUM who was concerned about her son’s safety found him dead in a praying position, a coroner was told.

Paul Robert Jones, 51, was found by his mother Joyce and brother Stephen at his home in Clwyd Street, Shotton, on April 25.

Mr Jones had been diagnosed with paranoid schizophrenia in 1995 and was on strong anti-psychotic medication which required him to have regular check-ups.

An inquest in Mold into Mr Jones’ death heard that PC Llion Morgan, stationed at Deeside, was called to attend the address following a report of a sudden death.

On arrival he saw a man in the bedroom slumped on the floor in “an unusual position” clutching Rosemary beads, adding: “You would usually associate this posture with someone praying.”

The PC told the hearing he and colleagues did not find any personal items such as a mobile phone and wallet but a mobile was later found smashed up in the outside wheelie bin without a Sim card.

Everything in the property appeared neat and tidy and there were no signs of a disturbance.

Mr Jones had undergone blood tests on April 10 but was unable to take an assay test to measure how much medication was in his system.

That test was rescheduled to take place four weeks later as he had taken his medication that morning.

Joyce Jones, Mr Jones’ mother, said her son had arranged to meet his brother on Monday, April 23, and to meet her on April 24 but he did not turn up.

She said she was concerned he was not keeping up with his medication but had to wait for a follow up appointment.

“I feel he has been let down,” she said.

On Wednesday, April 25, she and her son Stephen went to his house and were concerned when they saw the light switched off and the door unlocked.

Paul Jones, she said, had always believed in God but in the weeks before his death he had been influenced by Jehovah’s Witness.

Stephen Jones told the hearing: “He was always of the opinion that if a person committed suicide, they would end up in purgatory.”

Family, friends and social workers said despite having schizophrenia Mr Jones was happy and healthy and was looking to the future.

John Gittins, coroner for North Wales East and Central, said the therapeutic level of clozapine was between 0.4 and 0.8 but the toxicology found Mr Jones’ level to be at 5.6.

He ordered a review as to why Mr Jones was left waiting four weeks for his next check-up.

Mr Gittins said on the balance of probability the cause of death was toxicity from the medication, but there was no evidence that Mr Jones had intended to take his own life.

Mr Gittins said: “I’m told by everyone that knew him that there hadn’t been any indication of self-harm. He hadn’t left any notes.

“My belief is that what was most likely is that this was an accidental event.”

Mr Gittins told family members Mr Jones probably did not take his medication in the way he should have.

“What provided benefits to him also, sadly, resulted in his death.

“I’m very sorry for your loss.”