A MAN from Wrexham jailed for four-and-a-half years for biting off a part of another man's ear escaped from prison by stepping over a wall, a court heard.

Sammy Lee Samuels triggered an extensive man hunt after going on the run from HMP Thorn Cross near Warrington on July 1.

Despite police officers believing he might have been hiding on a camp site in North Wales, Samuels, 29, was eventually found two months later at his girlfriend's house in Wellington Road, Wrexham.

Appearing from custody at Mold Crown Court, Samuels admitted a charge of escaping from custody and Judge Rhys Rowlands added eight months to his existing prison sentence.

The court heard that when police discovered Samuels hiding behind the kitchen door at his partner's home, he offered no resistance and was taken back into custody after saying goodbye to his children.

Prosecutor David Mainstone said staff at the open prison, where prisoners have their own keys to their rooms, reported the escape to North Wales Police after noticing Samuels was absent.

The court heard the wall which Samuels traversed was approximately waist high and was only supposed to mark the boundary of the prison rather than "a physical barrier”.

“This was not a sophisticated or a planned escape, there was no violence and he stepped over a small garden wall of fence,” said Henry Hills, defending.

“He acted on impulse.”

Samuels originally admitted wounding James Williams with intent at Mold Crown Court in February 2017.

The attack left Mr Williams with a permanent disfigurement after part of his ear was ripped off during a dispute over money. Police later found the ear but it was too late to stitch it back on.

The court heard Mr Williams was set upon by the defendant as he walked home in the early hours of the morning.

Prosecutor David Mainstone said that after a struggle, Samuels latched on to Mr Williams' left ear with his teeth.

The court heard Samuels, formerly of Caego Terrace, Caego, near Wrexham, had 15 convictions for 25 offences including dishonesty, disorder and violence.

Sentencing Samuels, Judge Rowlands added: “It was a serious offence you were in prison for and you were out for just over two months.

“You were tracked and detained by police officers, but you didn't misbehave.”

Samuels will serve the remainder of his sentence at HM Altcourse Prison in Liverpool.