A MAN whose body was recovered from a Wrexham house fire died because of a fatty liver, an inquest has heard.

Jamie Edward Keating, 44, was found dead in his home in Crescent Close, Wrexham, after firefighters, police and ambulance crews responded to a fire at the premises at about 12.30pm on Thursday, April 19.

Kathy Anne Munday, Mr Keating's sister, said at the inquest held at Wrexham's Guildhall yesterday, that he had been diagnosed with epilepsy as a young child and had been suffering from seizures.

She said on the morning of April 19, Mr Keating had visited his mother and there she had planned to meet him for a drink at 12pm that afternoon.

After Mr Keating had returned home, Ms Munday received a call saying Mr Keating's smoke alarm was going off.

Shortly after, she received another call from police asking her to go to her mum's house.

Paramedics confirmed Mr Keating's death at 1.05pm that day.

North Wales Fire and Rescue Service said the cause of the house fire was due to a frying pan cooking fish which had been left burning.

During a post-mortem, Dr Mohammad Aslan found there was no evidence of Mr Keating inhaling smoke, suggesting he had died before the fire broke out.

However, Dr Aslan did discover a fatty liver which he deemed to be the most likely cause of death.

Dr Aslan could not say whether Mr Keating had died from an epileptic fit because this leaves no traces in the body to be discovered in a post-mortem.

John Gittins, coroner for North Wales East and Central, declared Mr Keating had died due to a fatty liver.

He added Mr Keating had most likely collapsed whilst cooking the fish.

As the fatty liver was not caused by alcohol abuse, he deemed the death to be of natural causes.