A drunken teenager crashed into a village clock after making off in his grandmother’s car then broke the jaw of a police officer trying to protect a paramedic from his wrath, a court heard.

Anthony James Cooper’s trail of offending started when he collided with a woman reversing her car out of her drive in Penyffordd and ended with him lashing out at a sergeant when he was under arrest at Wrexham Police Station.

Flintshire magistrates agreed they did not have the power to sentence the 19-year-old and sent his case up to Mold Crown Court.

After first crashing his vehicle, Cooper rang his grandmother who drove to the scene to help him. But bidding to escape he jumped into her vehicle where she had left the key in the ignition and drove off down Vounog Hill, only to lose control and collide with the Millennium Clock in Penyffordd.

Cooper refused medical help at the scene and started shouting at a paramedic. When PC Ian Tapley intervened and took hold of Cooper's wrist to try and calm him down he became aggressive and a violent struggle ensued in which he repeatedly punched the officer in the face.

Prosecutor Rhian Jackson said PC Tapley’s ear piece and epaulette were torn off and he was unable to open his mouth as a result of the swelling he suffered. The officer went to hospital two days later where a fracture was confirmed and he later underwent surgery on his lower jaw when metal plates were inserted.

In an impact statement read out to the court the PC Tapley recalled how Cooper “had lost it completely”. He was convinced the defendant was going to punch the paramedic, so he stepped in front of him to protect him from harm.

He said he suffers pain as a result of the attack and needs to take medication.

When Cooper arrived at Wrexham Police Station he said: “I’ve punched a police officer and I’m proud of it.”

A breath test showed he was over twice the drink/drive limit with a reading of 77 microgrammes of alcohol in 100millilitres of breath; the limit being 35.

Cooper, of Eaton Grove, Saltney entered guilty pleas to drink driving, causing grievous bodily harm to the police officer and criminal damage at Penyffordd on August 19. He also admitted violent behaviour at Wrexham Police Station on the same date.

Richard Thomas, defending, called for a pre-sentence report before sentencing.

“We can all agree that if you break a police officer’s jaw the matter will have to go to crown court," he said.

Cooper was given an interim driving ban and granted unconditional bail until his appearance at Mold Crown Court on September 27.