A MAN who grabbed a teenage girl on the driveway of her home has been found guilty of false imprisonment.

Ciprian Romascu followed the 17-year-old and then took hold of her around the waist on the driveway of her parents’ house.

The Romanian national claimed he only wanted to ask her for directions as he was lost, but a jury at Mold Crown Court found him guilty after deliberating for two-and-a-half hours.

After the verdict the court was told that Romascu had assaulted two 14-year-old girls soon after confronting the 17-year-old on the same day.

He previously pleaded guilty to two charges of common assault and prosecuting barrister David Mainstone said he spat at one of the 14-year-olds and punched the other.

Judge Niclas Parry told Romascu, 37, who has been in custody for more than five months, that he was adjourning the case for a probation report to assess what dangers he may pose to the public.

He warned him: “You will understand that the events of that day are very concerning.”

The court was told Romascu, who was wearing a white hood, brushed past the 17-year-old after she got off a bus from work and was walking home.

A short while later, as she walked onto the driveway of her family home she was grabbed around the waist.

The teenager was left crying hysterically and when police were contacted Romascu was found riding a mountain bike nearby.

He said he only put one arm around her because he was trying to attract her attention so he could ask for directions.

But Mr Mainstone added: “We say the motives were sinister and he simply wasn’t looking to ask for directions.”

Romascu, previously of Newby Walk, Connah’s Quay, denied falsely imprisoning the teenager and holding her against her will on January 21 this year.

He gave evidence with the aid of a Romanian interpreter, who said Romascu had only spent 15 days at the address in Connah’s Quay and was not familiar with the area.

The court heard before all three incidents he spent the afternoon drinking beer and spirits at a fellow Romanian’ home and admitted he felt a “bit dizzy”.

“I had no bad intentions. I was looking for someone to tell me directions. I wasn’t looking for someone to hurt,” he said.

His counsel, Mr Matthew Dunford, admitted: “The behaviour is very odd”.

Romascu was remanded in custody until August 2 when he will be sentenced.