AN inquest heard how police officers checked on a Holywell man a day before he hanged himself.

Father of two David Evans was found by a friend at his home at Seeview Terrace, Holway Road, Holywell, on August 24 last year.

Just a day previously Mr Evans' partner Rebecca Thomas had ended their relationship prompting the 33-year-old to tell her he was going to kill himself.

But when officers visited his home concerned for his safety they found Mr Evans watching football on the TV and he assured them he did not have any suicidal thoughts.

At a hearing in Ruthin, John Gittins, coroner for North Wales East and Central, recorded a conclusion of suicide adding that the cause of death was severe hypoxic brain damage - a lack of oxygen to the brain – which itself was due to hanging.

Mr Gittins read a statement from one of the officers who had attended Mr Evans' address at around 9.40pm on August 23.

The officer said he and a colleague had visited Mr Evans following a third party report of a concern for safety.

He said they understood that Mr Evans' relationship had recently ended and he had threatened to take his life but when they arrived they found him watching football on the TV having drunk four cans of lager.

Mr Evans told them he didn't understand why the relationship had ended and he had said he was going to kill himself to "get a reaction" in the hope that his partner would return home.

He added that he had never suffered from depression before and didn't need any help so the officers left after giving him some numbers to call for help should he need to.

Mr Gittins said there was "nothing to raise concerns" as Mr Evans had been coherent and had not been drinking alcohol excessively.

The coroner then read out a statement from the dead man's friend Michael Last who said he had visited the home on August 24 at about 5.10pm in order to pick up some clothes for Ms Thomas.

He found the front door was open before then entering the house and finding Mr Evans hanging.

A note was pinned to his body and a number of messages had been written on the walls of the house.

A post mortem carried out by Dr Andrew Dalton found that Mr Evans had a small amount of alcohol in his system which was described by Mr Gittins as being enough to be just over the drink driving limit.

There were no drugs in his system and nothing to suggest a natural cause of death.

Reaching his conclusion, Mr Gittins said the fact Mr Evans was not intoxicated and had left various messages led him to believe this was "not just a cry for help but a spontaneous act in the light of desperation."

Recording a conclusion of suicide, the coroner said: “Sometimes people just make bad decisions.”