A BURGLAR gave police a helping hand after he filmed himself committing the crime.

Hayden Rees Tapsell gave officers a brilliant clue when he burgled a house late at night – by filming it.

When first arrested Tapsell denied being responsible for an occupied house burglary on Deeside.

But police who examined his mobile phone found the incriminating evidence.

The film showed his own distinctive trainers and trousers, an open window, and Tapsell going in and stealing car keys from the kitchen.

The footage also showed him getting into a Vauxhall Mokka outside and driving away in it.

Tapsell, 25, of no fixed abode but who at the time of the burglary on December 7 lived at Green Lane in Shotton, was remanded in custody and sent to Mold Crown Court for sentence.

District Judge Gwyn Jones, sitting at Flintshire Magistrates’ Court at Mold, said that he would receive credit in sentencing for his early guilty pleas.

“From what I am advised, the bulk of the evidence in this case comes from you,” he said.

Tapsell admitted the burglary at Highmere Drive in Connah’s Quay, driving while disqualified and having no insurance.

Prosecutor Rhian Jackson said that the burglary occurred in the early hours when the property was occupied.

Car keys were stolen from inside and then the vehicle was taken from outside.

Police had found a film of the defendant committing the offence on his own mobile phone.

Defending solicitor Simon Simmons said that when his client was originally arrested he denied being involved in the burglary.

Police seized his mobile phone which contained footage of the defendant who had filmed himself on the driveway, in the house and in the vehicle.

The footage showed his distinctive trainers and trousers, showed him at the bungalow and the open window, taking the keys from the kitchen and taking the vehicle.

He said that the defendant had his issues including drug induced psychosis and had recently been released from The Ablett Psychiatric Unit.

There was no application for bail and the defendant was remanded in custody to be sentenced at the crown court at the end of the month.