It's important to stay near the top says Wrexham FC striker


Richard Williams

STRIKER Adrian Cieslewicz admitted it was important to pick something up from Friday’s top of the table clash with Newport County to stay in prime position.

A 1-1 draw enabled Wrexham to take over the leadership on goals scored from Grimsby Town for the evening, while the Mariners returned to top spot on Saturday after a 1-1 stalemate at home to Hereford United.

Newport remain in third position and Cieslewicz was satisfield with a share of the spoils in the quest for promotion.

“We knew what was at stake before the game,” said Cieslewicz. “If we win we go top and if we lose Grimsby could go four points clear of us and it could be hard to catch them up again.

“It was hard to play football on that pitch, it was more of a battle than a football match, but it was a good draw and we are top of the league (for the night).

“It could be a very important point at the end of the season.”

It proved to be a hard-fought encounter and although Wrexham were put under increased pressure in the second half by the hosts, Cieslewicz almost snatched a winner but his header rebounded off the inside of the post and to safety.

“You can see why Newport are up there, they have got many good players but so have we,” said Cieslewicz.

“I was unlucky with the post but the main thing is I was in there and I had a chance.
“It didn’t go in, the one at Telford did, that is just how it is.

“I think a draw was a fair result because both teams had chances and it could have gone either way in the end.”

Wrexham took the lead in the 34th minute with an effective counter attack, Cieslewicz setting up leading scorer Danny Wright for his 11th goal of the campaign.

“That’s why I stayed up in the first place, to try and get hold of the ball and get in front of the defenders,” said Cieslewicz.

“That is what I managed to do, I got the ball first, turned around and looked at my options. Danny was right in the middle so I tried to find him, it was a great ball and he did the rest.

“I am happy we went ahead and that is what we needed.”

Newport equalised in the 55th minute through Max Porter’s deflected shot from the edge of the area, and although neither side could find a winner, it enabled Wrexham to extend their unbeaten run to four games.

Cieslewicz admitted it has been gruelling playing so many games over the festive period, but he is focused on continuing the promotion charge with victory at Alfreton Town tomorrow evening.

“This stage of the season is very hard, we played five games in two weeks over the Christmas period and you get tired,” added the Wrexham attacker.

“But we take it one game at a time, now we go off to Alfreton and hopefully get three points.”

Newport, beaten 5-0 by promotion rivals Forest Green Rovers on New Year's Day, put Wrexham under increased pressure after levelling in the second half.

However, the Reds dug in and and also had chances to score a winner but Morrell felt a draw was a fair result following his side’s battling performance.

“Newport got a bit of a hammering on Tuesday and they were going to come back at 1-0, we knew they would,” said Morrell.

“But we defended really well, we threw our bodies in when we needed to and threw our bodies on the line, and then it is a deflection that eventually gets past us.

“It has gone off a body that is flying in as well but a draw was probably fair although we might have been able to nick it as well.”

See full story in the Leader

Leave your comment

Share your opinions on

Characters left: 1500

Most Read