Battling Nomads make it successive victories


Tom Norris

Gap Connah’s Quay made it back-to-back victories as they came from behind to beat visiting Newtown 2-1.

Nomads went into the encounter looking to maintain the form that saw them thrash sorry Llanelli eight days ago, but Newtown were the first to score as Luke Boundford converted Gareth Partridge’s pass.

Alan Hooley and Mike Thompson had gone close for the hosts before Boundford’s effort, while Rhys Healey skimmed the crossbar and Rob Jones was inches wide with a deflected strike.

Healey again went close with a spectacular overhead kick, Jamie Petrie saw his strike deflected over his own bar by Connell Rawlinson and Danny Dobbins had an effort cleared off the line as Newtown’s goal led a charmed life.

The message was simple for player/boss Mark McGregor at the break and Nomads finally had some reward for their perseverance after the restart as Jones turned on-loan TNS defender Rawlinson before firing past David Roberts.

The home side continued to pressure the Newtown goal and they grabbed a deserved winner when Healey conjured up a fine individual effort from just inside the area.

It was Healey’s ninth league goal of the campaign, and 11 in all competitions, and manager McGregor is delighted with the youngster, who may not have been handed a regular spot had Gary O’Toole stayed in Deeside.

“Rhys has taken his chance,” declared McGregor. “At the minute he is playing without pressure and I don’t think he would have believed anyone if they had told him he would have 10 goals this season already.”

On O’Toole, who was crucial in helping Quay win the Cymru Alliance in successive years, McGregor added: “He has had his contract terminated and I would like to thank him for his performances.

“Without his goals we may not have got promoted so we are grateful to him for that.”

Airbus failed to score for the first time since their opening day defeat to The New Saints as they lost 2-0 against Bangor City at Nantporth.

There was nothing to separate the two teams at the interval with neither side troubling the scorers, but it took Bangor just two minutes after the restart to rectify that.

Former Chester striker Chris Simm broke the deadlock, before James Brewerton double the scoring six minutes later.

Ryan Wade, Chris Budrys, Lee Riley, Ian Kearney and Steve Abbott all had chances to score for Airbus, who were frustrated by a combination of some wayward finishing and good goalkeeping by Lee Idzi.

The New Saints gave new Llanelli boss Bob Jeffrey plenty to think about as they ran out 6-0 winners at Stebonheath Park.

Chris Jones, Alex Darlington and Michael Wilde all bagged braces for Saints, while Llanelli’s Jason Bowen took his side’s red card tally for the season to seven.

Carmarthen brought high-flying Prestatyn down to earth as they recorded a 2-2 draw, although the Old Gold could have picked up all three points.

Despite the dismissal of Julian Alsop after just four minutes Carmarthen opened the scoring from the spot through Liam Thomas.

Ross Stephens levelled midway through the opening period, but Carmarthen were not prepared to lie down and restored their lead through a second spot-kick from Thomas.

The home side looked set to pick up the victory, but Liam McCreesh fouled Prestatyn’s Andy Parkinson and Mike Parker coolly dispatched the equaliser in stoppage time.

Aberystwyth fought their way back from a goal down on two occasions before running out 4-2 winners at Port Talbot.

David Brooks and Jeff White handed Port Talbot the initiative before Matty Collins and Glyndwr Hughes cancelled them out.

Jordan Follows proved the Aber hero with two goals inside the final 13 minutes.

Bala Town collected all three points yesterday as they defeated Afan Lido by the odd-goal in five.

Stuart Jones handed Bala the lead in the 11th minute, but Lido hit back to level through Chris Hartland.

Mark Connolly resored the Bala advantage although the visitors refused to roll over and Lee Hartshorn made sure that the teams were level at the break.

It was going to take something special to win the game and it was Bala and Connolly who came up with the decisive goal.

See full story in the Leader

Leave your comment

Share your opinions on

Characters left: 1500

Most Read