Vauxhall Motors 0-3 Chester FC


Dennis Wall

CHESTER ran out comfortable winners in last night’s local derby clash.

The Blues capitalised after Motors had been reduced to 10 men when Conor Roberts-Nurse had been dismissed for a late tackle on Danny Williams in the 27th minute.

Roberts-Nurse had netted an own goal from Tony Gray’s right wing cross in the 10th minute.

And two goals in five second half minutes from Danny Williams and Sean Clancy put the contest beyond Vauxhall’s reach.

Chester made four changes to the side that scored a 2-1 home victory against Histon.

New loan signing Danny Williams made his debut for the Blues at left back and Luke Denson, Ashley Williams and Tony Gray all started in place of Wes Baynes, Iain Howard, Dave Hankin, and Marc Williams.

Vauxhall took just 20 seconds to create their first attack with Craig Mahon seizing on a poor pass from Sean Clancy before charging forward and unleashing a low 20 yard goalbound shot which Blues keeper John Danby pushed clear.

But Chester hit back and Denson pressed in a bid to dispossess Tom Hannigan on the edge of the area whose attempted clearance hit Denson and flew wide of the target.

And the Blues were rewarded in the 10th minute for the endeavours when Gray whipped in a right wing cross that found the far corner of the net courtesy of a touch from defender Roberts-Nurse.

Paul Linwood had a rush of blood in the 15th minute when he attempted an ambitious 30 yard drive which flew well wide of the mark.

And Clancy carved an opening seconds later from the left, but his low near post effort was comfortably gathered by Motors keepert Zac Jones.

Clancy engineered another opportunity for the Blues in the 16th minute, but his cross from the left was headed clear by Hannigan.

And Clancy continued to put his stamp on the game in the 19th minute with a right sided corner that David Thompson headed across his goal and fractionally wide of the far post.

Motors weathered the storm and countered in the 21st minute in the shape of Thompson on the left who jinked his way into space before feeding Tom Rutter whose shot deflected into the clutches of Danby.

Chester responded three minutes later when Nathan Jarman and Gray set up Antoni Sarcevic whose 25 yard shot was sprayed well wide of the target.

Vauxhall’s Lee Dames was guilty of blasting a long range effort over the bar in the 24th minute after controlling a fine pass from Thompson.

But Motors then faced a proverbial mountain to climb when they reduced to 10 men in the 27th minute after Roberts-Nurse was shown a straight red card for a late tackle on Danny Williams.

Chester looked in command with their numerical advantage, but a series of wayward passes in the torrential downpour frustrated the visiting fans.

Danny Williams forced Jones into a tip over save from a 25 yard drive after a Sarcevic assist as Chester attempted to double their advantage.

Jarman steered a header wide of the right post a minute later after Sarcevic and Scott Brown linked up to initiate the move.

And Danny Williams brought the first half to a close when his header from 20 yards found the arms of Jones after Jarman had provided a flick on from Denson’s right wing delivery.

Chester looked sharp and determined to increase their lead during the opening minutes of the second half.

Sarcevic charged forward and delivered an incisive pass to Gray inside the area whose shot was blocked by Dames and cleared.

Motors gave themselves some respite seconds later when Tom Rutter surveyed his options before curling a 20 yard shot wide of the right post.

Chester looked dangerous as they won a series of corners and began to take a stranglehold of the proceedings.

Linwood saw a 10 yard shot headed clear by Rutter in the 55th minute, and Denson’s glancing header from Danny Williams’ left wing cross seconds later was intercepted by Jones.

Vauxhall made a double substitution four minutes later when Karl Clair and Louis Moss replaced Chris Noone and Jonathan Egerton respectively.

Chester then made two changes in the 64th minute with Dave Hankin and Wes Baynes replacing Gray and Denson.

Hankin’s first touch turned out to be an inch perfect right wing cross which picked out Danny Williams and the winger crashed home a first time shot at the far post.
And Chester made it 3-0 in the 70th minute when Clancy rifled a left footed volley into the roof of the net from Danny Williams’ left wing cross.

VAUXHALL MOTORS (4-4-2): Jones 7; Roberts-Nurse 7, Dames 8, Hannigan 8, Nicholas 8; Thompson 7, Mahon 9, Egerton 7 (Moss 59), Rutter 7 (Winslade 73); Burns 7, Noone 7 (Clair 59). Subs (not used): Kocis, Ellison.

CHESTER (4-4-2): Danby 8; Denson 8 (Baynes 64), Collins 7, Linwood 7, D Williams 9; A Williams 8 (Mackin 72), Brown 8, Sarcevic 8, Clancy 8; Gray 8 (Hankin 64), Jarman 7. subs (not used): Howard, Taylor.

REFEREE: Peter Wright (Southport).


MATCH RATING (1-5): ***

MAN OF THE MATCH: Debutant midfielder Danny Williams looked a threat on the left flank.

See full story in the Leader

Leave your comment

Share your opinions on

Characters left: 1500

Most Read