Airbus flying high as they thrash leaders


Tom Norris

Airbus suggested that the Welsh Premier League title is a realistic target by thrashing leaders Prestatyn Town 5-0.

Director of football Andy Preece has insisted that a top six finish is the club's main aim this year – the first of a three year plan – but a commanding victory over Prestatyn, who came into the clash top of the table, will mean that the ex-Wrexham striker is forced to play down talks of a league crown.

A goal after just three minutes settled any early nerves for Airbus, a cross finding its way to the back post where captain Ian Kearney slotted home.

Chris Budrys and Tom Field had chances to extend the lead for the home side, while Jason Price forced Ben Chapman into a save as Prestatyn tried to get a foothold in the contest.

A hold up for an injury to Mark Petch, who was eventually replaced, only proved to help Airbus as they doubled their lead through a powerful Wayne Riley effort.

The game appeared beyond doubt after 39 minutes as on-loan Wrexham defender Steve Tomassen headed home, although the last touch may have come from Price.

Nothing changed in the second period as Airbus continued their complete dominance of proceedings, Jordan Johnson needing just two minutes to add a fourth following an impressive run.

Midfielder Riley went close on two occasions, before Prestatyn's night went from bad to worse with former Chester midfielder Greg Stones shown a straight red card for a foul on Field.

Bookings and substitutions dominated the next period of the game, although Airbus showed their class with a fifth strike, Budrys finding the back of the net from close range.

Budrys would have added another but for an excellent stop by Jon Hill-Dunt and Andy Parkinson fired over as Prestatyn showed a glimmer of attacking intent.

The full-time whistle went shortly after leaving Airbus within three points of The New Saints, who climbed to the top of the table with a victory over Aberystwyth ahead of a trip to the Airfield on Friday.

The victory left Airbus' skipper Kearney delighted, the ex-Northwich defender admitting: “No better feeling that three  points in a big game! Lads are flying and changing rooms were bouncing.”

Sam Finley, Chris Seargeant, Michael Wilde and Alex Darlington were on target as The New Saints clinched a 4-1 win at Aber, who netted their reply through Matty Collins.

Gap Connah's Quay failed to score for the first time this season as they slipped to a 1-0 defeat at home to Bala Town.

Rhys Healey, Mark McGregor and Ricky Evans all went close for Nomads as they home side started brightly, but a defensive lapse handed Bala the lead at the break.

A free-kick was only partially cleared by the Quay defence and the ball eventually found Lee Hunt and he beat Jon Rushton.

Hunt should have doubled the Bala advantage just shy of the hour mark, the striker somehow blazing over in front of an open goal from six yards after being played in by Ian Sheridan.

Chances came and went for both teams in another entertaining half of football and Bala took home the three points.

Llanelli produced a stunning comeback as they scored three times in the final seven minutes to beat Afan Lido 3-2.

Lee Hartshorn and Chris Hartland struck inside two minutes as Lido took control of the game midway through the second period.

Luke Bowen made for an interesting finale with a strike on 83 minutes for Llanelli, before Martin Rose levelled with 60 seconds of normal time remaining.

Bowen capped off the remarkable fightback on the stroke of full-time with his second and Llanelli's third.

Bangor City were unable to move second in the table as they were held to a 1-1 draw at Port Talbot. Full-back Chris Roberts put the Citizens in front a minute into the second-half, but Lee John earned the home side a share of the spoils late on.

Carmarthen collected three valuable points courtesy of a 2-1 win at Newtown, who opened the scoring through Nicky Ward. Casey Thomas restored parity for the Old Gold on 72 minutes before Liam Thomas turned the game around with a strike 120 seconds later.

See full story in the Leader

Leave your comment

Share your opinions on

Characters left: 1500

Most Read