Airbus and Connah's Quay record Welsh Premier League wins


Tom Norris

AN unlikely goal from on-loan full-back Steve Tomassen handed Airbus a 1-0 home success over Bala Town.

Following back-to-back hard luck stories against The New Saints and Carmarthen Town, the Wingmakers were determined to secure their first points of the campaign, while Bala were searching for their opening victory after two draws.

Ryan Wade went close to breaking the deadlock on two occasions in the opening stages, but saw his header cleared and a curling shot miss the the target.

Mark Jones countered for Bala, although his weak effort was not able to cause home goalkeeper Ben Chapman any concern.

Airbus then edged in front as an attack was only half cleared by the Bala defence and Tomassen, who was being watched by club boss Andy Morrell and assistant Billy Barr, rifled home from six yards out to open his account for the season.

With Mark Connolly booked in the aftermath Bala were being frustrated by Airbus, who saw Toby Jones clip a shot over the crossbar in what was the action of the first period.

The opening minutes of the second-half had little in the way of goalmouth action, but Bala grew into the contest and threw everything at the home side during the closing stages.

Lewis Codling was the first to try his luck, on for Ross Jeffries the substitute headed straight at Chapman, before ex-Airbus striker Ian Sheridan headed wide when unmarked at the back post.

Sheridan found the target with his next effort, forcing Chapman into a neat low save, and although Bala continued to press there was no way through a well marshalled Airbus back-line.

Airbus director of football Andy Preece was delighted with his side's first three points of the season, telling the club website: "It was important that we got on the board, we played well in the two previous games and got nothing so there was a bit of pressure on us today and you could see that we were a bit nervous as the game went on.

"But I thought it was a good performance against what I think will be a top three side this season, they are a good side and they had a couple of players suspended as well, it's a great result for us."

Gap Connah's Quay climbed up to joint third in the table courtesy of an impressive 3-1 victory against Llanelli.

Andy Legg's travelling party have been one of the powerhouses of the league, but newly-promoted Nomads made sure that they returned to Llanelli empty handed.

A strike from Gary O'Toole which cleared the bar was the best either side had to show for their efforts during the opening 45 minutes, but things improved dramatically after the interval.

O'Toole made no mistake with his next chance four minutes after the restart, Mike Thompson putting the striker through before he rounded goalkeeper Dave Richards and slotted home from a narrow angle.

A defensive slip allowed Ricky Evans to double the home side's advantage and Thompson continued his rich vein of form with a goal direct from a corner two minutes from time.

Martin Rose snatched a late consolation late on, but that was not enough to stop Nomads from taking home all three points.

Goalkeeper John Rushton was disappointed to concede a late goal, but was pleased with another three points.

He wrote on his Twitter feed: "Another great win. Performance as well was quality. Confidence is key and we've got loads of it at the moment."

Sion Edwards fired a hat-trick as Bangor City hit Aberystwyth Town for seven in the live game of the weekend.

Chris Jones opened the scoring after six minutes and it was one way traffic from that point onwards.

Edwards completed his hat-trick before Chris Simm and own goals by Stuart Jones and Wyn Thomas added insult to injury.

Jordan Follows did pull a goal back at 4-1, but it proved nothing more than a consolation.

The New Saints maintained their 100 per cent start to the campaign with a 4-1 home victory over Prestatyn Town.

Greg Draper fired Saints into a ninth minute lead before Ryan Fraughan netted a brace to leave Prestatyn with a mountain to climb.

Former Doncaster striker Jason Price pulled a goal back for Prestatyn, but Sam Finley had the final say for the Saints with time running out.

Carmarthen Town failed to build on their surprise victory at Airbus last week as they were held to a 1-1 draw by Afan Lido.

Jack Christopher's first-half goal looked to be enough to hand Carmarthen victory, but Mark Jones struck in the last minute to secure Lido's first point of the season.

Port Talbot went one better as a David Brooks goal handed them their first win of the campaign, Newtown slipping to a 1-0 defeat.

See full story in the Leader

Leave your comment

Share your opinions on

Characters left: 1500

Most Read