Aberystwyth Town 1-2 Wrexham FC


Richard Williams

WREXHAM will be given tougher tests before the start of the Conference campaign but there were plenty of positives to take out of Saturday's 2-1 victory over Aberystwyth Town at Park Avenue.

Andy Morrell fielded two separate sides for the opening pre-season friendly, giving all his fit first team players and two trialists a 45 minute run-out on a sunny afternoon on the west coast.

And while it was essentially a fitness exercise, with 22 players getting a good work out, the Reds also registered a deserved victory.

Wrexham were in charge throughout and should have been ahead after two early efforts were cleared off the line but they had to come from behind after Aber took the lead 10 minutes before half-time.

But Aber hardly had a kick after the break as Wrexham continued to threaten and they got back on level terms before scoring a winner in a one-way second half.

Some of the younger members of the first team squad in particular impressed their manager and did their chances no harm, but Wrexham can expect a more difficult match when they face Scottish Premier League side Kilmarnock at The Racecourse on Wednesday.

Wrexham went straight at Aber from the first whistle and the first chance arrived in the ninth minute.

Adrian Cieslewicz threaded a pass through to Declan Walker who crossed to the back post and Jamie Morton's effort was cleared off the line by Wyn Thomas.

With Wrexham camped in the Aber half, Danny Wright almost broke the deadlock but his header from trialist Simon Hackney's corner was nodded off the line by Jordan Follows.

Ciewlewicz was also too high with an effort from 20 yards and was then thwarted by a timely block after venturing into the area.

Wrexham were playing some nice football in their build-up play but Aber came close to an opening goal when Sean Thornton's free-kick reached an unmarked Josh MacAuley but he was off target with his close range shot.

Winger Louis Moss, a former Wrexham trainee who was trialling for Aber, was forced off with an injury and with the home side coming more into the game, they took a 35th minute lead.

MacAuley's cross was handled by Leon Clowes and Thornton converted the resulting penalty.

It remained 1-0 at the interval and Wrexham named an entirely different team for the second half, with new signing Brett Ormerod making his debut in attack.

Wrexham once again took the game to their hosts and equalised after 56 minutes.

Joe Clarke's long ball into the area was only partially cleared by keeper Mike Lewis and Rob Ogleby found the back of the net with a looping shot.

With Wrexham untroubled at the other end, they kept pressing and Clarke – operating as a right back – headed narrowly wide of the target while Rushton's drive was blocked by a defender following a run into the area.

The Reds were in control and made it 2-1 on 79 minutes.

Rushton was put through on goal but was brought down in the area by Cledan Davies as he shaped to shoot and Jay Colbeck put away the penalty.

Michael Walsh's long range drive failed to trouble trialist keeper Andy Coughlin, who had been a virtual spectator, at the other end and still hadn't had a save to make when the referee blew the full-time whistle as Wrexham finished deserved winners.

ABERYSTWYTH TOWN (4-5-1): Lewis; James, Jones, Thomas, Davies Cledan; MacAuley, Walsh, Collins, Thornton, Moss; Follows. Subs: Griffiths, Evans, Rhydian Davies, Jones, Burrell, Williams, Fitzpatrick.

WREXHAM first half (4-3-3): Mayebi; Walker, Clowes, Creighton, Ashton; Harris, Little, Morton; Cieslewicz, Wright, Hackney.

Second half (4-3-3): Coughlin; Clarke, Tomassen, Westwood, Stephens; Keates, Colbeck, Morrell; Rushton, Ogleby, Ormerod.

Referee: Aled Jones (Lampeter).

Attendance: 831.

Man of the Match: Full-back Declan Walker was eager to get forward down the right flank and supplied some teasing crosses.

See full story in the Leader

Leave your comment

Share your opinions on

Characters left: 1500

Most Read