Wrexham’s promising pre-season form continued with a 2-1 victory against Warrington Town.

A goal late in the first half from Chris Holroyd put the Reds ahead before sub Scott Boden blasted into the top corner soon after his introduction.

A late strike from Ruben Jerome threatened to end Wrexham’s winning streak, but the Reds retained their composure to maintain their winning run.

French trialist Gime Toure was handed a starting place up front, while Akil Wright made an early appearance from the bench after James Jennings was forced off.

In a summer of transition at the Racecourse, Keates has completely overhauled his squad with 12 new arrivals.

Town too have been proactive in their summer dealings, with Yellows boss Paul Carden recruiting seven players, including former Airbus striker Tony Gray.

And the game against Northern Premier League opposition provided another useful workout for the Reds, with manager Dean Keates utilising 15 players across the 90 minutes.

Having acclimatised to the weather in their recent mini-tour of Portugal, the Reds were unfazed by the sticky 24 degree conditions early on in East Cheshire as their superior match fitness came to the fore.

A lively start from the visitors saw Paul Rutherford and Toure combine well down the right hand side.

The game’s early exchanges soon took on a low-key feel, not helped by the number of thumping clearances from the hosts, many of which landed outside the ground.

During this lull in proceedings, Wright was among the standout performers for the Reds, bringing authority to the midfield alongside Sam Wedgbury with some firm and well-timed challenges.

On 17 minutes Holroyd spurned a gilt-edged chance to grab the opener when he stole possession 30 yards out for a clear run at goal, but shot tamely at Town keeper Tony McMillan.

Town struggled for a foothold in the game and lacked any real attacking fluency, with forward Josh Hines firing well over from distance.

Wright then showed his class when he burst forward from just inside the Town half before crossing for Toure, whose scuffed effort lacked conviction.

Holroyd then tested McMillan again with a crisply-struck half-volley from the edge of the box which was comfortably held.

But the Reds forward soon atoned for his earlier miss when he showed good composure to bring down James Hurst’s lofted cross to the far post before rifling home.

Emerging from the break looking to add to their 1-0 lead, the Reds were soon on the front foot again when the industrious Rutherford found a yard inside Town box before squaring to Toure, whose effort was superbly turned away by McMillan.

An attacking switch on the hour saw Boden and Ntumba Massanka replace Toure and Holroyd.

The pair offered renewed impetus to the attack, and quickly combined to double Wrexham’s lead.

Massanka’s goalbound effort was well saved, but as the ball ran loose to Boden found the top corner with an unerring finish.

Wrexham were denied a penalty when Massanka was brought down, before sub Jerome halved the deficit, angling a superb finish into the bottom corner beyond Wrexham keeper Chris Dunn.

A nervy final 10 minutes ensued, but the Reds held firm.