ad

EXCLUSIVE: Ex-Chester boss confirms Reds buy-out bid

Published date: 14 February 2011 |
Published by: Garth ApThomas
Read more articles by Garth ApThomas


 

CONTROVERSIAL businessman Stephen Vaughan has revealed he was part of the consortium poised to take over at Wrexham FC.

And Mr Vaughan has said if no alternative buyer is found by the club’s current owners, he and his investment colleagues could be prepared to come back to the negotiating table.

The last few weeks have been a bewildering whirlwind for followers of the football club.

First came the announcement that the owners were looking to sell up to a company called Van Morton Investments.

A deal was said to have been agreed to sell Wrexham FC “as soon as possible”, with The Racecourse and club training ground to follow.

But that was followed by the news that Van Morton had pulled out of any proposed buy-out.

A press release was issued blaming adverse publicity for the takeover not going ahead.

In an interview with the Leader about the affair, Mr Vaughan, a former owner of Chester City, said: “I was part of a consortium which included former Premier League footballers and a cosmetics retail magnate.

“That was the reason for going the overseas route with the company and retaining anonymity – they didn’t want their business interests revealed.

“The new Wrexham chairman, Robert Bickerton, has been criticised by some people for saying he didn’t know who we were, but he was telling the truth.

“I am a stakeholder in Van Morton Investments, but if the proposed purchase had gone ahead I wouldn’t have been part of the day to day running of the club.

“It is well documented what went on with Chester City and myself. That was a bad experience.

“I have had enough of running a football club and the headaches that come with it.”

He added: “If Wrexham do find another buyer then that is fair enough and I wish
them well.

“But if there is no other potential purchaser we could still be interested in an agreement.”

Mr Vaughan said Wrexham had fitted the investors’ requirements of currently being a non-league club which had the potential to get back into the Football League and earn further promotion.

- Wrexham will be featured on Premier Sports TV on February 22 when they travel to play AFC Wimbledon.

The game is a rearranged fixture from early December, which had been postponed due to heavy snow.

Premier Sports TV is available on Sky, channel 433.

- THE Wrexham Supporters Trust (WST) has defended itself against criticisms made by the owners of Wrexham FC.

On Friday a statement on the club’s website said: “We consider some comments made on behalf of the WST regarding current issues to be completely inaccurate.”

The statement also said the Trust had been offered the opportunity to purchase the club for £1 with a further option to buy the Racecourse.

It added that a preliminary meeting had taken place but there had been no further response.

A Trust spokesman said yesterday, however: “No detail is given regarding which statements are inaccurate. We would be grateful if the owners of Wrexham Village could furnish us with details of those statements in order that we could address those concerns.”

On the matter of the proposed sale, the Trust spokesman said: “The impression given is that the owners of Wrexham FC have been keen to do a deal with the WST and we have been avoiding contact. We will not have our characters impugned in this manner.

“Following a meeting on April 9, we were not able to sit down with the owners of the club until October. At that meeting, they agreed to share the club’s financial information with our advisers. Sadly, despite numerous requests, all recorded, they have been unwilling to back up their offer.”

He added: “It is not our intention to seek conflict with the owners of Wrexham FC but we will move to protect our good name when necessary.”

The Wrexham FC statement also called on fans to back the team’s promotion push.

It said: “For those of you who urged us to sack Dean Saunders... please eat some humble pie and sing especially loud.”

It added that only banners supportive of the team would be allowed inside the ground.

You must be a registered user to leave a comment. Register or login here.

  1. Posted by: wrexhamafc at 10:58 on 14 February 2011 Report

    Lets put some facts in place. The banner ban is designed to stop criticism of Moss,not Saunders. There have never been ANY banners criticising Dean. Moss wants to kill the football club by removing the ground from its control (theft!) and sell it to a man who has already destroyed TWO football clubs. He wants Wrexham FC to fold which is why he's run up so much debt.Then he has the Racecourse to build on. Let the people know the truth,you won't get any from Moss.

  2. Posted by: eveningreader at 11:12 on 14 February 2011 Report

    We have a big problem at WFC. Moss has been cleverer than Hamilton. Oh what a snake you have turned out to be Mr Moss! Mr Dickens has a lot to answer for as well.

  3. Posted by: truth hurts at 12:00 on 14 February 2011 Report

    The 'fit and proper person' test is clearly a sick joke!

  4. Posted by: Appyarry at 12:51 on 14 February 2011 Report

    This is without doubt Moss getting his old mate Vaughan to play the media in order to wind up the fans.

  5. Posted by: watchdog at 15:54 on 14 February 2011 Report

    Well the Leader have now helped reveal the odd goings on surrounding The Racecourse and Wrexham Village. Not surprised that those at the helm of Wrexham Village try to direct critism toward the fans and WST yet again when they themselves are found out.

  6. Posted by: honey27 at 20:43 on 14 February 2011 Report

    Good luck Wrexham FC! Vaughan will destroy your club like he did at Chester City FC, I think the future evening leader report will be 'RIP Wrexham FC' ,mark my words if Vaughan gets in you will be out!

Past pictures from Bodhyfryd

  • l108dc6b
  • l108dc6e
  • BG-311011-1279
Local Bygones

View thousands more photos like this on www.localbygones.co.uk

Browse our archive
 

Local Business Offers & Promotions

  • 10% OFF

    STUDENTS, OAP;S, HIGH SCHOOL PUPILS. 10 % OFF Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Wash/Finish or Wash/Cut/Wash (Not in Conjunction with any offer)

    Valid Until: Thursday, 11 Dec 2014

    Voucher Code: C&CO

  • 25% Off your Food bill!

    Each diner must purchase a starter & a main course. Offer valid until December 2014. Valid Sundays - Fridays only. Not valid on Bank Holidays & Selected Dates - please call for confirmation. Please book in advance & mention ' Web Offer'. This offer excludes Buffet, Banquet & Takeaway. The Restaurant reserves the right to change this offer at anytime.

    Valid Until: Friday, 05 Dec 2014

    Voucher Code: Web Offer


View all offers & promotions

Featured Businesses

View all adverts