A WOMAN whose bomb hoax caused council offices and courts to be evacuated had wanted a local authority apology for child abuse while in care, a judge heard.
Christina Haycock, 49, of Bridge Street, Mold, was jailed for a year and told by the judge at Caernarfon Crown Court: “I have no doubt the abuse suffered by you has affected you deeply into adulthood.
“But you lost all sense of proportion and common sense in making the hoax call that you did.”
Judge Philip Harris-Jenkins said :”This is a very, very serious offence, particularly so in the current climate.”
He said her actions no doubt caused unnecessary upset and worry and cost the public purse a great deal of money.
He added: “In the circumstances of this case, because of the gravity of the offence, the disruption it caused, I am afraid I am not going to be in a position to suspend the sentence.”
Jade Tufail, defending, said the criminology and criminal justice graduate was “truly remorseful for the inconvenience caused”.
She was in care from age three.
Miss Tufail said: “All she wants is an apology from those who were supposed to protect her at the time.”
Haycock was receiving counselling, the court heard.
The barrister said Haycock had been involved with major abuse inquiries, having come forward in 1991, and made the hoax call in a “moment of madness”.
Haycock was previously self-employed as a newsagent and as a fruit and veg seller.
Prosecutor Elen Owen said the call to Flintshire Council caused council staff, judges, magistrates and other court users at Mold to be evacuated with an estimated cost of tens of thousands of pounds.
Checks revealed the call came from Haycock’s phone and she eventually accepted to police she was the caller and apologised.
Police and the fire service put the cost to them at more than £4,500.
Haycock, who admitted on January 22 she made a bomb threat, told the council phone operator: “Shire Hall [County Hall] has got a bomb in it so I would tell them to get out.”
Following sentencing, Flintshire South Inspector, Jonathon Bowcott said: “This was a totally irresponsible criminal act which caused great disruption to many people and tied up considerable resources from the emergency services. I am pleased the court has recognised the seriousness of such hoax call offences.”