Teenage student from Connah's Quay was found dead by his mother


Staff reporter (Leader Live)

A MOTHER found her teenage son’s body in the garage of their home, an inquest heard.

Hayley Anita Jones found Jonathan Price Jones, 17, at their home at Wepre Park in Connah’s Quay at about 5.30pm on July 30.

Mrs Jones told the hearing at Ruthin, in a statement read by coroner John Gittins, that she had last seen Jonathan – known to friends and family as Jack – at about 8.30am that morning when she left for work.

His sister was the last person to see Jonathan alive as she left for work at about midday.

He was watching TV and seemed well, Mrs Jones said.

But when she returned home at about 5.20pm, she found a note from her son and searched the house for him before eventually finding him in the garage.

Jonathan was a first year electrical engineering student at Coleg Cambria in Connah’s Quay.

Mrs Jones said she found out after Johnathan’s death that he had passed first year exams which he thought he might have failed.

She went to the garage and found Jonathan, tried to help him but he was unresponsive.

Paramedics and police then arrived and Jonathan was pronounced dead at 5.40pm.

But he seemed happy and was looking forward to applying for a driving licence, going on holiday with his family and celebrating his 18th birthday.

“I would say that he was a normal teenage boy,” Mr Jones said.

He would ‘have his moods’ but these would pass and he had never showed any signs of self-harm.

Mrs Jones said Jonathan’s death came as ‘a great shock’ to the family, and added: “Jonathan was loved by his family and is very deeply missed.”

Mr Gittins, coroner for North Wales, said forensic evidence and the fact he was found on the floor meant it would be ‘a long stride’ to conclude that he intended to end his life.

But he had left a note for his mother, which made it clear that it was she that he expected to find him, making it ‘difficult to form the view that it was accidental’.

There was also sufficient evidence that he committed the act, which steered Mr Gittins away from an open conclusion.

A post mortem examination found Johnathan’s brain had been deprived of oxygyen.

There were no drugs or alcohol in his system, the inquest heard.

Mr Gittins recorded a narrative conclusion and gave the cause of death as asphyxia.

He said: “There is insufficient evidence to determine whether it was his intention to end his life at this time.”

The coroner told Mrs Jones, her husband David and other relatives at the hearing that he had been ‘particularly touched’ by Jonathan’s death.

He added: “As a father myself, I can’t begin to imagine the distress, the pain and suffering that his death will have left in your lives.”

But it was clear that Jonathan was ‘a good ’un’, Mr Gittins said, and that they would have ‘17 years of great memories of Johnathan’.

He added: “Hopefully at some point you can find some peace in this matter.”

Leave your comment

Share your opinions on

Characters left: 1500

Most Read