Connah's Quay steelworker guilty of breaking man's jaw


Staff reporter (Leader Live)

A MAN delivered a single punch to another man’s face and broke his jaw.

Five weeks earlier steel worker Danny Brown had been involved in another violent incident – when he broke a man’s cheek.

Now Brown, of Summerville Close, Connah’s Quay, has been warned he is going to prison.

Brown, 23, denied a charge of GBH upon Chad Muller in August last year.

Mr Muller underwent surgery and a plate was used to fix the fracture.

A jury retired for about half-an-hour yesterday and convicted Brown.

They were told five weeks or so earlier, he had punched a man in similar circumstances and fractured his cheek.

He had admitted that GBH and an affray charge after he punched another man who was not traced.

Judge Rhys Rowlands told him it had to be custody and adjourned the case for a pre-sentence report next month.

“You have been found guilty today of what you will appreciate is a serious offence, made the more serious by the fact that you assaulted this man within five weeks of having broken someone’s cheekbone in very similar circumstances and in roughly the same place,” the judge told him.

“It is really rather worrying.”

There could only be one sentence, the judge said.

“The only question for the court is how long the prison sentence should be,” he added.

Prosecuting barrister Jonathan Austin told Mold Crown Court that in July of last year Brown accepted he punched another man outside The Boathouse pub in Connah’s Quay.

That man’s cheek was fractured.

Five or six weeks later outside a nearby kebab house the defendant had delivered a single punch to the face of Mr Muller.

That punch broke his jaw.

It was only the following morning the victim realised the extent of the injury and went to hospital.

X-rays confirmed his jaw was fractured and he underwent surgery when a plate was used to fix it.

He was in hospital for two days, off work for two weeks and he initially had to take food through a straw.

Mr Muller had been out celebrating a friend’s birthday, he had a lot to drink, and intervened when it was alleged the defendant made a remark about another man who was alleged to have been beaten up by some pub bouncers.

The prosecution said Brown put his takeaway food down, went over to him and delivered one powerful punch which fractured the jaw.

The victim had not expected it, was in complete shock, did not retaliate but left the scene and walked home.

Defending barrister Kim Halsall claimed her client had acted in self-defence.

Brown said he believed Mr Muller was about to strike him and he had simply pushed him away, not punched him, which did not even cause him to fall over.

Giving evidence, Brown said he had been accused of being a racist when he was not.

He agreed he had punched another man a few weeks earlier but told the jury he was “a changed man”.

Brown said he had learned his lesson from the previous incident.

That night he only had one pint and was in control of himself, he said.

But the jury rejected his story.

See full story in the Leader

Leave your comment

Share your opinions on

Characters left: 1500

Most Read