A DEESIDE woman said she was seconds away from death after flames engulfed her Lanzarote home as she slept.
Toni Jade Dunn, of Sunnyside, Mancot, who has lived on the Spanish island for three years, said she has been left “scared” and “feeling sick” after the blaze the day after she had celebrated her 24th birthday.
Miss Dunn, known to her friends as ‘Swiss’, has been left shaken by the fire, which she said has destroyed all of her belongings and left her homeless.
The former Hawarden High School pupil, who woke up to find the house alight, said she could “smell petrol” and believes the fire was started deliberately.
She also said the flames broke out right by a gas tank, adding it was lucky her home didn’t blow up.
Her family had flown over to the island to celebrate her birthday and were staying at a neighbouring village on the holiday isle on the night of the blaze.
Miss Dunn has been a pubic relations worker for night clubs since arriving in Lanzarote - doing a job she loves.
Speaking to the Leader following the fire, Miss Dunn, said: “At first I thought it was me and that I had done it with a cigarette.
“I couldn’t believe it - I was just in a panic.
“I knew I just had to get out and go.
“The fire was right by my gas tank.
“I was very lucky - two seconds longer and I could have been dead.”
Miss Dunn said she tried to battle with the flames as she escaped.
“I tried to put some of the fire out with wet towel but it was too big,” she added.
“Everything was in my house. I got out with just my iPhone and the pyjamas I had on - not even shoes.
“I had to get a wet towel round me to go through the fire. I put it round my hand to turn the key.”
Miss Dunn has suffered burns to her arm and was taken to hospital on the night of the fire.
As a result of the fire, she said she is hoping to return to Flintshire this week.
See full story in the Leader