MP: People responsible for Rhos 'cannabis farm' should be jailed


Staff reporter (Leader Live)

THE people responsible for a “cannabis farm” at a house which caught fire last week should be sent straight to jail, an MP has said.

Susan Elan Jones, MP for Clwyd South, said the blaze at the house on Market Street in Rhos could have had tragic consequences.

Fire ripped through the house on Wednesday morning of last week, causing smoke to fill adjacent terraced houses and some needing to be evacuated.

Later on Wednesday North Wales Police said cannabis was found at the burnt out property. No one has been arrested in connection with the fire or the cannabis cultivation, North Wales Police said on Monday morning.

And Ms Jones says anything less than a prison sentence for the people responsible for what she described as a “cannabis farm” would be too lenient.

Ms Jones said: "My view is that anything less than a custodial sentence would be unacceptable. In the case of the recent fire, we are very lucky that people were not killed and shops were not destroyed.

“Sometimes people treat cannabis as a less serious drug than some others - but the reality is that if someone driving a car behind you is high on cannabis, they are as likely to more likely to crash into you than even a drunk driver would be.

“Then there is also of course the issue of the sorts of people and criminal behaviour that drug dens attract into an area.”

Businessman Ray Humphries, who has been renting out the house, expressed his shock when officers seizing an untold number of cannabis plants from the property.

Mr Humphries, 50, who also sits on Rhos Community Council, said the home has been left gutted and will cost him around £15,000 or £20,000 to repair.

North Wales Fire and Rescue Service confirmed the fire was started in an airing cupboard at the property and was caused by an electrical fault.

The terrace property went up in flames shortly before 6am on Wednesday.

Firefighters spent more than five hours at the scene and removed roof slates to douse affected properties with water.

Ms Jones also urged residents to alert the police if they see any signs of people growing cannabis in their area.

She added: "The key thing to look for is curtains which are always shut.

“If residents do see that in a house, they should give the Police a call on 101.

“Police will keep always keep their calls confidential, so residents needn't worry they will be reported for making the call.”

See full story in the Leader

Leave your comment

Share your opinions on

Characters left: 1500

Most Read