Six years for Mold man who bit off part of partner's ear


Staff reporter (Leader Live)

A FOOTBALL fan who attacked his partner after watching England lose their first World Cup match, biting off part of her ear and fracturing her jaw, has been jailed for six years.

Mold Crown Court heard yesterday that David Barr’s victim was throttled and feared she would be killed.

Judge Philip Hughes told Barr, 38: “She could not breathe and thought she was going to die,” he said.

Barr was wearing shoes and using his foot and his teeth were like using weapons.

Barr was told it was such a serious offence it had a 12 year starting point but the judge said he would reduce the starting point to nine years because of his previous good character and his genuine remorse and sense of shame.

Barr, he said, would have a full one-third off for his guilty plea to a charge of wounding with intent to cause grievous bodily harm which meant a six year sentence.

Victim Gemma Dykins was left with extensive bruising to her face and body, part of her left ear was bitten off and she had a hairline fracture of the jaw following the attack at her home in Bryn Garmon, Mold, on June 14.

Gareth Roberts, prosecuting, said the couple were watching the World Cup and both had been drinking.

He became jealous, believing she was contacting another man on her mobile phone, and grabbed it.

Barr, who worked for NWN Media at Mold, followed her to the kitchen and was very angry, said Mr Roberts.

His hands were clenched and he was shouting at her. He punched her hard to the left side of her face and she hit her head on the tiled floor and lost consciousness.

Barr shouted at her and called her names. He again punched her to the side of the face, knelt down over her and bit her left ear. She felt a sharp pain and there was a lot of blood.

Barr then put his hands around her neck and started to strangle her. She could not breathe and she thought he was going to kill her.

Barr then picked her up and put her on the sofa. She fell in and out of consciousness. She was unable to walk and she believed Barr thought he had killed her and appeared to calm down. He removed the keys from the back door.

The following day he called an ambulance and the couple said in hospital she had fallen over the dog. The alarm was raised six days later by a concerned friend.

The couple were said to have been involved in an intense relationship and the judge said there had been previous acts of violence.

Barr, now of Penparciau, Aberystwyth, was said by Damian Sabino, defending, to have been insecure and perhaps difficult to be around. There had been arguments because Miss Dykins felt he was not helping with domestic chores.

“His actions were born out of insecurity, jealously and a fear of rejection,” Mr Sabino said.

Barr saw red and lost control when he saw that she had been communicating with another man on her phone.

“He lost control of himself and his reaction was such that he caused injuries,” he said.

Interviewed, Barr admitted assault but did not remember biting her ear.

He could not explain the injury other than she had fallen in the bathroom and hit her head – the ear could have come off then, he said. The assault came about because of “trust issues”.

But Mr Sabino told the court that he fully accepted causing the injuries. He felt “deep shame, guilt and remorse.”

During the week after the attack he felt he had been “living a lie” and felt relief when the matter was reported.

In a victim impact statement, Miss Dykins said she felt trapped in the relationship and was terrified of him.

She had flashbacks and nightmares and faced reconstructive surgery.

See full story in the Leader

Leave your comment

Share your opinions on

Characters left: 1500

Most Read