Man assaulted night porter in Wrexham


Rory Sheehan

A MAN assaulted a hotel’s night porter and smashed the window of a police cell door after a night out.

Khalid Hassan Alabdullah, 26, of no fixed address, had gone to Liquid nightclub in Wrexham town centre with a couple of girlfriends.

He returned with two women to the Wynnstay Arms hotel in the early hours of July 11 where he had booked a room.

The night porter on duty at the Wynnstay Arms was behind the reception desk when two women had earlier gone up to the room, which had been booked by the defendant for one adult and two children.

Matthew Ellis, prosecuting, told the court that when the night porter queried who was using the room, the defendant, who is six foot four and well-built, became aggressive and said: “It’s my room, I can do what I want”.

Mr Ellis said: “He then grabbed the porter lifted him up over his shoulder and threw him against a cabinet. He then picked him up again and repeated the move.

“A few hours later police went up to the room and found the defendant lying on a double bed wearing just his boxer shorts with two females, and two other females on a sofa bed.

“He complied with officers, but was under the influence of alcohol and became verbally abusive, banging on the perspex screen of the police vehicle.

“At the Wrexham custody suite he was taken to the exercise yard to calm down, which didn’t work and officers had to lock the door.

“He kicked the cell door relentlessly, causing the window to smash. Later, he said he couldn’t remember anything after midnight and was very sorry for assaulting the porter. He wouldn’t behave like that when sober.”

Dave Finney, defending, said: “He was immediately remorseful. It was out of character and his drink may have been spiked. He thought he was engaging in horseplay with the porter, and with his size and build, he could have used other means to harm him if that had been his intention.”

Sentencing, magistrate John Perera said: “What you did was inappropriate behaviour.” 

Alabdullah was given a 12 month conditional discharge and was ordered to pay £50 compensation to the night porter and £50 to Wrexham Police Station. He was also told to pay costs of £85 and a victim surcharge of £15.

See full story in the Leader

Leave your comment

Share your opinions on

Characters left: 1500

Most Read