Deeside man jailed after holding knife to father's throat


Staff reporter (Leader Live)

A DEESIDE man who held a knife to his father’s throat when he was told he could no longer stay at his house has been jailed.

James Ashley Bunnell, 23, of no fixed address but who had been living in Sandycroft, had denied assaulting his father, possessing a knife, and slashing two tyres on a car belonging to a neighbour on May 21, but was convicted at Flintshire Magistrates Court at Mold earlier this month.

Bunnell, who also admitted other charges including breaching a non molestation order not to contact his mother at a different address, was jailed for a total of 10 months at Mold Crown Court yesterday.

Judge Niclas Parry made a two-year restraining order for him not to approach his mother “to let the dust settle”.

He said that he must not contact her in any way and not go within 50 yards of her home.

Judge Parry told him: “For two months you were out of control. It’s as simple as that.

“Despite having a serious conviction for violence you were given a chance in January after breaching a court order.

“You were given a community order and you totally ignored that. You carried out not one hour of the unpaid work ordered – it was a flagrant disregard of the opportunity given to you.”

He had produced a knife and brandished it.

“You put it to your father’s neck,” he said.

“Then you took it out into a public place, clearly out of control. The potential for serious consequences was obvious. You slashed two tyres.”

Damian Sabino, defending, said the only silver lining was that no one had been injured.

Bunnell came from a broken home where he had witnessed domestic violence.

It was agreed he had not accepted intervention in the past but his partner was pregnant and that was the incentive he needed.

He was determined that his child should not be brought up in the same scenario as he was.

Anna Pope, prosecuting, said that Bunnell’s father Kelvin Bunnell had given his son a temporary home but the landlady got to know he was staying there and told him that if his son was seen there again, then the father would lose his flat.

His son was told and that night it was claimed he was incensed and during an argument took a knife and held it to his father’s throat.

He pushed over a television and a CD display cabinet and left when he realised the police had been called, slashing two car tyres with the knife as he did so.

Despite a non-molestation order not to contact his mother, Mrs Laura Hughes, he then went to her home.

He had admitted three further breaches of the order.

When he went to her home on April 24 he asked her for £100 and when she refused he said he wished she would die.

On May 11 she found him hiding in an outhouse at her property.

And on June 2, he again went to her home and would not leave. Police found Mrs Hughes outside in her dressing grown afraid to go inside. She said that she did not feel safe going to bed in her own home with him there.

See full story in the Leader

Leave your comment

Share your opinions on

Characters left: 1500

Most Read