Mold man floored dancer with bottle in unprovoked attack


Staff reporter (Leader Live)

A LARGE drunken man launched an unprovoked attack at a Mold pub – hitting his victim twice on the head with a bottle and then kicking him while he was on the floor.

Terry Brian Moore, 41, said to be about six foot seven and weighing about 23 stone, admitted a charge of wounding with intent to cause grievous bodily harm.

It follows an incident on the small dance floor at The Dolphin pub on May 25.

Moore, of Bryn Garmon in Mold, was rebailed pending sentence next month.

Prosecuting barrister Matthew Dunford said the 21-year-old victim finished work late on the Saturday evening, called in the pub for a few drinks with friends, and was on the dance floor when the incident happened in the early hours of the following day.

He was dancing with a young woman who was a friend of the family when Moore, a stranger to him, approached.

The prosecutor said that it was an “entirely unprovoked attack”.

The DJ saw him pick up a lager bottle and strike him to the head more than once.

Mr Dunford said the victim felt a blow with a lot of force, he fell against the wall and started bleeding from a wound to the head.

Fortunately, there was an off-duty fire officer on the premises and he was able to provide good First Aid treatment straight away.

CCTV footage was recovered and that showed Moore pick up the bottle and use it to strike the victim to the head twice with force.

When he went to the ground Moore kicked him once.

Police arrived and arrested Moore outside as he was walking back towards the Dolphin.

He told police: “I know what it is all about. I just want to get it sorted.

“I had a scrap with a lad. I went too far. It was over a woman.”

Interviewed, he said he had been drinking all afternoon and said it was not unusual for him to drink 20 pints.

He knew a girl who he had kissed in the pub and he had seen that girl dancing with another man.

Moore said he “saw red” and picked the bottle intending to hit him over the head with it.

He accepted hitting him only once and kicking him on the ground although the prosecutor said the CCTV showed two blows.

By his guilty plea, he accepted intending to cause him really serious harm, said Mr Dunford.

Moore said he was “gutted” at his own behaviour and had been “an idiot” for behaving that way.

The bottle had not broken and the wound had simply been cleaned in hospital.

In a victim impact statement, he said he felt at the time as if he was losing consciousness.

He had not been back to the Dolphin, which he regarded as his ‘local’, since.

The prosecutor said the victim felt he was very lucky as the injury could have been a lot worse.

Judge Philip Hughes adjourned sentence and rebailed Moore until next month.

See full story in the Leader

Leave your comment

Share your opinions on

Characters left: 1500

Most Read