Acrefair man, 66, jailed for court order breach


Staff reporter (Leader Live)

A 66-YEAR-OLD man who repeatedly breached a restraining order not to approach his former partner has been jailed for a year.

Paul Douglas Turner bombarded Wendy Jones with text messages and turned up at her home.

Mold Crown Court heard the couple had bumped into each other in Wrexham town centre and spent the afternoon drinking.

He said he was receiving mixed messages from his former partner and that he loved her.

But Judge Niclas Parry told him there were no mixed messages from the court.

“I have never seen anyone who has had so many suspended sentences,” he said.

Turner, of Glaslyn, Acrefair, had been subjected to six suspended sentences and had been given many chances.

“There are no mixed messages here,” he said.

“People don’t get a seventh suspended sentence.”

Within months of receiving a previous suspended sentence he breached the restraining order.

He was bailed but breached it again when he sent her text messages.

When police went to arrest him they were kind to him and allowed him to get his medication.

But he got a knife and caused a worrying situation and police had to respond by threatening to use a tazer on him, Mr Parry said.

Turner admitted being in breach of a suspended sentence, four breaches of the restraining order and an affray following the incident with the police.

Sion ap Mihangel, prosecuting, said the couple had been in a four-year relationship. 

It came to an end and a restraining order was made by magistrates last December.

In April the couple bumped into each other in Wrexham and spent the afternoon drinking, but they argued and he was arrested the following day. He admitted breaching the order but said he did not think about it at the time.

In May he sent text messages wanting his property back but was arrested and made no comment in interview.

At the time of  his arrest for affray in the incident with police he had sent Miss Jones 900 text messages and she had sent 600 replies back.

He had also called her more than 700 times on her mobile phone.

Turner accepted he had lost his head with the police officers and apologised.

But he said that he went to get the knife to hurt himself, not the police

The offences put him in breach of a previous suspended sentence following an earlier incident when he armed himself with garden shears and threatened the police who went to arrest him.

Miss Evans said they had both ignored the order. She had gone drinking with him voluntarily, but it was Turner who committed the criminal offence.

His main reason for contacting his former partner was over the return of property, including valuable furniture.

See full story in the Leader

Leave your comment

Share your opinions on

Characters left: 1500

Most Read