Mold thug jailed after pub attack


Staff reporter (Leader Live)

A MOLD man has been jailed for two years after he attacked a woman and two men at a Deeside pub.

To make matters worse, Leon Andrew Lavelle, 24, was on early release licence from a sentence for two robberies at the time.

Lavelle, of New Street in Mold, admitted a charge of common assault and two charges of assault occasioning actual bodily harm following the incident at The Boathouse in Connah’s Quay.

Sentencing him yesterday, Judge Niclas Parry said it was three acts of violence on three different victims on the same night.

He entered the female toilets saying he wanted to hide from the police and when he was properly asked to leave, he took a swing at one woman, missed, and struck another in the jaw as she tried to defend her friend.

Lavelle continued to be aggressive, he ignored the licensee’s requests to leave and then attacked two members of the public who were acting perfectly decently and who had been trying to placate him.

He knocked one unconscious with a single punch and struck another as he turned to walk away, perforating his ear drum.

“This was a sustained and unprovoked act of violence on licensed premises,” he said.

His only real mitigation was his guilty pleas.

Prosecuting barrister Simon Rogers said that at 11.50pm Lavelle entered the ladies, said he was hiding from the police, was asked to leave but he became agitated and took a swing at one of the young women inside.

He missed but struck her friend who had tried to intervene, in the jaw, which made her head jerk back.

She tried to push him out and he hit her to the brow.

Staff arrived, he became angry and eventually left.

Outside, two men who had been in the pub tried to placate him.

One had no memory of what happened and was knocked unconscious with a single blow.

He needed stitches to his upper lip, a suspected broken nose, a chipped tooth and a bump to the back of the head.

The other was punched from behind which perforated his ear.

That caused a loss of hearing and his balance had been affected.

However it had all been captured on CCTV, said Mr Rogers, who played it to the court.

Andrew Jebb, defending, said the CCTV graphically captured what had happened outside the pub.

Lavelle wrongly felt he was under threat at the time but the CCTV showed that was entirely wrong and that was a misunderstanding.

He apologised profusely for what he put them through.

It was fortunate that far more serious injuries were not caused.

“He completely misread the situation,” Mr Jebb explained.

Lavelle had been recalled and apart from yesterday’s sentence, he would not be released until January of next year.

While in custody Lavelle had fully co-operated with the drug and alcohol services and he had been receiving counselling.

See full story in the Leader

Leave your comment

Share your opinions on

Characters left: 1500

Most Read