Factory re-opens after major blaze


Staff reporter (Leader Live)

A FACTORY which was nearly destroyed in a blaze last week was due to be back trading today.
In the early hours of Wednesday last week fire crews battled flames and thick smoke at the unit of Silverlining Furniture on the Wrexham Industrial Estate.
The rescue was successful and Fire Brigades Union (FUB) secretary Shane Price said that potentially millions of pounds worth of stock had been saved.
Head of operations at Silverlining Chris Schaefer told the Leader: “Without the fire service this would have gone up in flames, without a doubt. “It was about to self combust because of the build up of smoke. It was so thick that you could barely see six inches ahead.”
Now the company has released a statement saying it will be back trading at the premises today.
Mark Boddington, owner of Silverlining Furniture, said: “We are grateful to the fire service as they were fantastic and due to their quick response and professionalism were able to extinguish the fire quickly.
“As the fire was away from the main production area there will be no effect to any current projects we are working on.”
The premises are leased from the Welsh Government.
Mr Boddington added: “We have been very fortunate and I am proud of how our team has responded. We are also grateful to the Welsh Government, our neighbours and wider business community who have all helped to ensure there has been minimal disruption to our business.”
Silverlining was founded in 1985 and employs more than 50 people. It makes furniture for the homes and yachts of oligarchs, celebrities and Royal families. 
The company expects to recruit another 10 to 15 employees over the coming year.
A spokesman for the North Wales Fire and Rescue Service said firefighters used eight breathing apparatus, three main jets and two hose reels to tackle the incident.
There was smoke damage to the building and fire damage to machinery. Two crews from Wrexham attended together with one each from Johnstown and Chirk.
A preliminary assessment found the probable cause of the fire was accidental involving machinery.
Four crews tackled the blaze until it was extinguished at 7.42am. Crews returned after 8am to undertake post fire activities.
The fire was reported at about 4.25am. A firefighters strike was held between 6am and 8am, but the personnel battling the flames at Silverlining stuck to their task.

See full story in the Leader

Leave your comment

Share your opinions on

Characters left: 1500

Most Read