Tormented man snapped and sought vengeance


Staff reporter (Leader Live)

A VULNERABLE man said to have been plagued by local youths who thrown items at his windows lost his temper and went out armed with a crowbar.

Alan Collins, 42, ended up at the door of a house where he thought one of the youngsters lived.

But when a woman answered the door, she was confronted by a stranger brandishing the weapon.

Mold Crown Court heard how the woman’s partner closed the door just as the crowbar was being brought down by Collins and it struck the door.

It had been a terrifying incident, prosecutor Frances Willmott said.

Collins, of Tan y Coed, Wrexham, admitted criminal damage and possessing an offensive weapon on April 29. He was warned people went to prison for such behaviour.

But Collins, who is now planning to leave the Wrexham area, was given a 35-week prison sentence, suspended for a year.

Judge Dafydd Hughes sent him on a drugs rehabilitation course and made an order that he does not enter another property on the Tan y Coed estate.

Mr Hughes said the offensive weapon was a particularly nasty one.

There had been a dispute for a considerable period of time between Collins and some of his neighbours, he said.

“Who is to blame for individual incidents I do not know.

“I don’t know exactly who was to blame for this particular incident,” he said.

“But it clearly started with 

damage being caused to the door of your home.”

Mr Hughes said it was understandable Collins was upset and angry.

But he should have stopped for a moment and given it some thought.

“Instead of that, you picked up a crowbar and went to the home of a neighbour,” he said.

Mr Hughes said that a woman answered the door to be confronted by an angry man with a crowbar and it must have been a very frightening experience.

He said whether or not the woman’s partner had a baseball bat – as claimed by Collins – was “neither here nor there”.

Collins had gone there with a weapon and such an offence normally called for an immediate prison sentence.

He could have no complaint if such a sentence was imposed.

But Collins had been frank with police, had admitted what he had done in court, references spoke highly of him and he also suffered ill-health.

Paul Abraham, defending, said his client was now planning to leave Wrexham and return to Bolton.

His client’s home had been damaged but that was not the first time.

Collins had been subjected to harassment by local youths in the months leading up to the incident.

He accepted he was angry and emotional and frustrated at what he believed was a lack of police action being taken against those responsible.

“It all came to a head that night,” Mr Abraham explained.

“He over-reacted on the spur of the moment.”

See full story in the Leader

Leave your comment

Share your opinions on

Characters left: 1500

Most Read