Woman 'was raped, beaten and slashed with knife' by Wrexham man


Staff reporter (Leader Live)

A MOTHER-OF-TWO has told a jury of her “year of hell” in which she was allegedly raped, kicked in the head and slashed with a knife – by her own husband.

The Wrexham woman, who cannot be identified for legal reasons, spent a traumatic day in the witness box at Chester Crown Court yesterday.

Speaking from behind a screen, she told jurors how her husband had “jumped on her head” leaving her needing metal plates to fix her jaw.

She also described how a year later he had taken a knife from a takeaway in Boughton, Chester, and slashed her across the hand in the street as he thought she was having an affair.

The defendant, who cannot be named without identifying the woman, faces 11 charges, including wounding with intent, inflicting grievous bodily harm and six counts of rape.

He denies all the charges, but has pleaded guilty to possessing a knife in a public place.

The woman said he had been a passionate and caring husband in the early years of their marriage, which began in 2007, and they had two children together.

However, around 2012, she suspected he was having an affair and said he had become “aggressive, violent and controlling”.

The situation came to a head on August 31 that year when they had an argument at their Wrexham home.

“I was desperate to know what was happening,” she told jurors. “I ran downstairs and got a knife and went into the bathroom and I said ‘I will kill myself unless you tell me the truth’.

“He kicked the door open and dragged me out of the bathroom. He took the knife and threw it across the landing and then he pushed me down and started kicking. He was just holding me down, kicking and jumping on my head.

“I couldn’t open my mouth. I felt like I had lost all my teeth.”

She said she was taken to hospital after agreeing to adhere to a story concocted by her husband and his friend that she had fallen downstairs in the dark.

She had surgery to fix two titanium plates to her jaw to mend the fractured bone and could not eat solid food for two weeks.

The woman told the court: “It hurt... and it hurt inside because I knew the reason why was that my husband had done this to me.

“He seemed to be sorry for what he had done and he promised me he would never do anything like that again. He would make me soup and try to look after me. It only lasted a few days.”

The jury was also played a video recording of her police interview in which she details allegations of rape that she says happened between January 1, 2013, and August 29 of the same year.

Describing an incident on August 29, after she claims she had split up with her husband and had started a relationship with a work colleague, she said the defendant had forced himself on her in the bedroom.

“He said it was my duty to sleep with him because I’m married to him,” she told interviewing officers. “He left me there crying and feeling so dirty. It didn’t feel right at all.

“After, he would say ‘See? You’re my wife. It didn’t kill you; you’re still alive’. It was a year of hell.

“It’s something I feel so ashamed of and embarrassed. Everyone should see him as a loving dad, not as aggressive and violent.”


See full story in the Leader

Leave your comment

Share your opinions on

Characters left: 1500

Most Read