Chirk driver overtook 10 cars and 'burned' red light


Staff reporter (Leader Live)

A DRIVER being chased by police overtook a line of 10 vehicles and went straight through a red light.

David Michael Davenport admitted dangerous driving and wept in the dock at Mold Crown Court when he thought he was going to jail.

But Judge Niclas Parry told him that he would suspend the 10-month prison sentence for a year.

Davenport, 31, of Bron y Waun, Chirk, was banned from driving for two years and ordered to take an extended driving test.

The court heard how he drove another man’s car because the owner was too drunk to do so.

But he was a banned driver, had no insurance, failed to stop for the police and drove dangerously as he tried to get away from officers.

Judge Niclas Parry told him that within weeks of being placed on a community order for driving while disqualified, he was at it again.

He had been involved in a prolonged incident of dangerous driving in the Wrexham area.

Davenport had driven through red lights and overtaken a line of 10 stationary vehicles waiting at traffic lights. “You drove past them all and went through the red light,” the judge told him, adding that Davenport had put the lives of other road users and his passengers at risk.

The case was aggravated by his shocking record. The judge said that it was his third conviction for driving while disqualified and he had 11 previous convictions for driving without insurance.

But no damage had been caused and mercifully there had been no injuries. And he took into account how Davenport been able to turn his life around since the offences occurred.

In addition to the suspended sentence, Davenport was placed on supervision and sent on a thinking skills course. He was also placed on a two-month tagged curfew to ensure that he remains indoors between 6.30pm and 6am.

Richard Edwards, prosecuting, said Davenport was seen driving a Ford Fiesta with passengers on the evening of May 20. He turned in front of a police car at a junction in Ruthin Road, Wrexham at speed and went through a red light.

He did not stop, but continued to drive along Homestead Road and Bersham Road and he went on the wrong side of the road at Bersham Bridge. He drove along Empress Road and Wrexham Road towards Rhostyllen too fast. It was then he overtook the 10 cars at the lights.

Police were concerned about the danger arising from his speed and held back – and later found the vehicle abandoned.

Three men were seen walking towards The New Inn pub and the registered keeper was arrested.

But checks showed that he was not the driver. Davenport later went to police and admitted that he had been behind the wheel.

Andrew Green, defending, said his client had been to the police three times to say he was the driver but was initially not believed.

He said Davenport’s remorse and shame were genuine.

See full story in the Leader

Leave your comment

Share your opinions on

Characters left: 1500

Most Read