BINS which went uncollected during council worker strikes last week will be emptied this week, officials have confirmed.
Rubbish and recycling collection workers rallied outside the Abbey Road depot on Thursday as bins across the town went uncollected during the nationwide day of industrial action.
That meant many residents faced almost a month’s worth of black bag rubbish building up outside their homes, as missing Thursday’s fortnightly landfill collection meant a four week wait.
Some residents said rubbish was already building up on the streets.
Alex Jones, of Ruthin Road, said it was “hot, smelling and not nice”.
But now Wrexham Council has said a collection will take place this week for the homes affected by the strikes.
Blue and black residual bins which should have been collected last week will now be emptied this Thursday, the council said on Friday.
Green waste bins due for collection last week will not be collected for a further fortnight, on July 24. Green waste bins due for collection on July 17 will be collected on July 31.
Regular refuse collections resumed on Friday across Wrexham.
Bin collections were not the only public service hit as 70,000 union members downed tools on Thursday. Schools, libraries, leisure centres and other council run services shut, while firefighters were also out on strike.
More than one million public sector workers took part in the walkouts across the UK in the protests over pay, pensions and working conditions.
Gary Simpson, Unite’s seconded representative for the town, said he felt the day was a success but he had sympathy for members of the public who have lost out.
“Personally I think the day was effective and was a success, but in raising the profile of council workers’ issues there is unfortunately a certain amount of turmoil for the public,” he said.
“However, our members can’t continue to be expected to provide more of a service with less money and less resources. It is affecting the service we give to the public.
“We don’t have a beef with Wrexham Council, we have been backed into a corner by central government. We should not be using tax credits to subsidise our wages and we should not have members that use foodbanks.”
Ponciau councillor Paul Pemberton, whose ward in Rhos was hit by uncollected bins last week, stressed to residents that bins would be emptied this Thursday.
“I had a lot of people on to me about the lack of bins collections,” he said.
“It will be three weeks since the last collection when they get emptied on Thursday, but that’s better than a month.
“If they’re going to hold another strike, can we have it on another day of the week than a Thursday.”
See full story in the Leader