Judge jails burglar for 'despicable' raid in Wrexham


Staff reporter (Leader Live)

A MAN has been jailed for three years following a mean Christmas Day burglary at a house in Wrexham.

Michael Andreas Davies had even unwrapped Christmas presents and placed them and other items together ready to steal when he was disturbed by the owner.

Davies claimed he had been given permission to stay in the house by a friend of the owner. After he left, it was discovered the house keys and car keys were missing.

A week later he returned and stole the car, Mold Crown Court was told yesterday.

When he stayed at the house with the friend overnight on Christmas Eve, he left open a window so he could get back in later.

Davies, 28, returned on Christmas Day morning to plunder the property.

The owner was so concerned her keys had been stolen that she parked her car elsewhere for a week.

But when she returned the car to its usual place on New Year’s Eve, Davies used the keys to take it and used the vehicle as his own.

Davies, of Grosvenor Road in Wrexham, denied burglary in Chapel Street, Wrexham, and the theft of a Saab but was convicted in his absence at Mold Crown Court yesterday. He was jailed for three years.

The court heard Davies, who was in custody, had not attended court due to an injury to his wrist and had previously refused to leave his cell.

Judge Niclas Parry said they were serious and sinister offences.

He had betrayed a young woman who had shown him kindness.

While in the house earlier, he had opened windows and doors so he could enter later.

He planned, despicably, to steal Christmas presents on Christmas Day, the judge said.

Davies also entered the woman’s bedroom where two watches were kept.
The sinister aspect of the theft of the car was that he had clearly kept watch at his victim’s property for many days and stole the car the very night it had been returned, Judge Parry explained.

Prosecuting, James Coutts told how Davies, wearing a Santa hat, met a young woman at a nightclub on Christmas Eve and they stayed at the victim’s house that night.

They both left the following morning but when the victim returned home she found Davies sitting on the sofa in her home.

He said he had been given consent to stay there by her friend – but it turned out that he and the friend had both left together earlier that morning.

Davies had returned after he made sure the windows were unsecured, it was alleged.

Mr Coutts said Davies left and the victim was worried when she found her car and house keys had gone.

She parked her car elsewhere for a week but when it was returned it was stolen overnight and Davies was later seen using it, allegedly at work in Chester and at the place he was then staying at Richmond House.

Henry Hills, defending, said his client denied the allegations. He had not burgled the house, had not taken the car, and if he had been seen in a Saab car then it was one which was owned by a friend.

After the hearing DS Ros Hewitt of Wrexham CID said: “Burglary is a serious offence. The conviction of the 28-year-old demonstrates the commitment we have to investigating such offences and bringing those responsible to justice.”

See full story in the Leader

Leave your comment

Share your opinions on

Characters left: 1500

Most Read