Driver's ear left hanging off after bite in Deeside


Staff reporter (Leader Live)

A DRIVER’S ear lobe was left hanging off after he was bitten by a colleague as he drove him home from work.

Victim Mark Williams was driving when Ian Porter repeatedly punched him.

Mold Crown Court how Porter then got up, put his knee on the passenger seat and leaned over with his face in front of the driver.

Mr Williams could not see where he was going and stopped in the middle of the road.

It was then that he was bitten on the ear and part of the lobe was left hanging off.

He needed six stitches to sew it back in place.

Porter, 38, of Blacon Point Road, Blacon, admitted that on June 7 last year at the Toyota Motor Manufacturing site at Zone Three of Deeside Industrial Estate he maliciously wounded Mr Williams.

He was jailed for 14 months.

The court heard how Porter became angry that £100 he had loaned to Mr Williams had not been repaid.

Mr Williams later quit his job because he said people were treating him as if he was in the wrong.

Judge Rhys Rowlands said that the victim was driving and without warning Porter started punching him.

“There were repeated blows to the side of the face,” the judge said.

“That in itself was serious enough because he was driving at the time.

“Then, quite extraordinarily for a grown man, you bit him to the left ear.

“The bite caused a significant wound.”

The judge said that the victim described how his ear lobe had been left hanging off and he had seen photographs which graphically showed the injury.

Judge Rowlands said that Porter had effectively used his teeth as a weapon.

Matthew Dunford, prosecuting, said the victim was in agony when it happened.

The two men had been friends and worked together for Blue Arrow at Toyota.

A few days before the attack, Mr Williams borrowed £100 from Porter, which had not been an issue until that morning. As they both left the night shift at 5.50am, Porter mentioned it and accused Mr Williams of buying a bike with the money he owed him.

Mr Williams said that was not the case and started to drive him home.

But he was punched about 10 times before Porter leaned across so that he could not see where he was going. He stopped and was bitten.

“He felt his teeth sinking into his ear,” Mr Dunford said. “He froze and felt dazed.”

Mr Williams drove Porter home and a short time later received a text message from him apologising.

Porter admitted what he had done to a human resources manager and he then resigned.

But interviewed by police he tried to blame the victim and initially pleaded not guilty in court. Maria Massellis, defending, said that her client had adopted an ostrich approach to his plea before Christmas, but had pleaded guilty before his trial was due.

He would have no one to blame but himself if he was jailed, but she asked the court to consider a suspended sentence because of the effect of immediate imprisonment on his family. A suspended sentence meant that her client could continue working to support them and to pay compensation.

He had resigned following the incident but had a good work ethic and had since been working in Amsterdam.

Her client had been under pressure at the time but knew he should not have taken it out on his former friend.

“Work needs to be done to ensure that there will be no repetition, that he does not flip as he did this day, on any future occasion,” Miss Massellis added.

See full story in the Leader

Leave your comment

Share your opinions on

Characters left: 1500

Most Read