Court convicts Deeside man who made knife threat to father


Staff reporter (Leader Live)

A Deeside man held a knife to his father’s throat when he was told he could no longer stay at his address.

James Ashley Bunnell, 23, denied assaulting his father, possessing a knife and stabbing two tyres of a neighbour’s car parked outside on May 21.

He was convicted yesterday afternoon by Flintshire magistrates who then heard how he had admitted three charges of breaching a non-molestation order not to approach his mother.

Magistrates rejected a bail application and remanded Bunnell, of no fixed home but who had been living in Sandycroft, in custody pending sentence at Mold Crown Court.

Prosecutor Helen Hall said Bunnell lived a chaotic lifestyle, was now facing a substantial prison term and said he had every incentive not to turn up for sentence.

Magistrates heard how the defendant’s father, Kelvin Bunnell, had put up his son temporarily but the landlady got to know he was staying there and told him that if his son was seen there again, then the father would lose his flat.

His son was told and he was incensed that night that he took a knife and held it to his father’s throat during an argument.

It was alleged that he threw over a television and a cd display cabinet and left when he realised the police had been called, stabbing two car tyres with the knife as he did so.

In evidence Mr Bunnell Snr said he had been out drinking that night, could not remember what had taken place or what he had told police but his original witness statement to the police was allowed in as evidence.

Police arrived to find the father upset and the flat in disarray.

Bunnell claimed he had been told that he could stay one more night and he was asleep when his father came in drunk.

He said his father started packing his things and told him he had to go and when he realised he meant it, he left on his bicycle to stay at the home of a friend.

He denied any incident with a knife or causing damage and had no explanation for the damage caused.

Following the conviction, the Mold court heard Bunnell had a previous conviction for breaching a non-molestation order by contacting his mother, Laura Hughes and going to her Sandycroft home. He had admitted three further breaches of the order.

On April 24, when he was at her home, he asked for £100 and when she refused he said he wished she would die.

On May 11 she found him hiding in an outhouse at her property.

And on June 2 he again went to her home address and would not leave. Police found Mrs Hughes in her dressing grown afraid to go inside. She said she did not feel safe going to bed in her own home with him there.

Gary Harvey, defending, said Bunnell denied the offences involving his father but accepted the breach of the non-molestation order not to contact his mother.

He claimed that on occasions he had been invited to his mother’s home.

See full story in the Leader

Leave your comment

Share your opinions on

Characters left: 1500

Most Read