Bagillt man attacked former partner in new relationship


Staff reporter (Leader Live)

A MAN assaulted his former partner when he found out she was in a new relationship.

James Byron Lewis threatened to stab her, grabbed her by the hair and pinned her to a bed with his hand on her throat.

When she fled up the street he chased after her and again grabbed her by the hair.
At Flintshire Magistrates Court at Mold he was warned he could have gone straight to prison.

But the fact he had remained trouble free for 10 years meant his term could be suspended.

Lewis, 28, of Foel Gron, Bagillt, admitted assaulting Sarah Jayne Pugh, the mother of his children, in February of last year and causing damage.

He received a two year community order under which he must undergo supervision.

District Judge Andrew Shaw sent him on an integrated domestic violence course and ordered him to carry out 150 hours unpaid work.

Lewis was ordered to pay £200 compensation, with £740 prosecution costs, after he initially put in a basis of plea, but then dropped it.

A five-year restraining order was made not to contact Miss Pugh or go within 50 metres of her home in Flint.

Judge Shaw said the assault was unpleasant in nature, was carried out in front of children and also publicly out in the street.

Justin Espie, prosecuting, said Lewis was unhappy about comments he had seen on Facebook, which indicated she was in a new relationship. He threatened to “put a blade through her”.

Later he attended her home, where he dragged her up the stairs by the hair, pinned her onto a bed by holding his hand on her throat and said they needed to have a chat.

She was scared and feared she would be hurt, but he did not attempt to strangle her.

He demanded to see her phone, she said it was downstairs, and while he went to get it she took the opportunity to run out of the house.

Lewis chased after her, grabbed her by the hair again and shouted for her phone. As he returned to the house, witnesses heard him say he was going to burn the house down.

Once inside he caused damage to kitchen cupboards, a Playstation games console, shelving and other items.

Peter Barnett, defending, said Lewis had since moved on.

He accepted she was in a new relationship, he was also now in a new relationship and he was having regular contact with the children.

Things had since settled down.

He accepted at the time he had lost his temper but things had since improved.

See full story in the Leader

Leave your comment

Share your opinions on

Characters left: 1500

Most Read