Johnstown woman woke up to find her bed on fire

Reporter:

Staff reporter (Leader Live)

A WOMAN has told how she woke up to find her bed was on fire.

The terrifying incident happened at 7.10am yesterday at a property on Heol Offa, Johnstown.

A spokesman for North Wales Fire and Rescue Service said the blaze was caused by an electric fan on the bed which caught fire.

The 64-year-old woman, who did not want to be named, escaped without injury.

She said: “As I started to wake up in the morning I could smell burning plastic.

“I opened my eyes and could see flames on the bed. 

“They were about two feet away from me and nine inches high on a section of the duvet.

“I was absolutely shocked.”

She said she leapt out of bed and phoned for the fire brigade.

“They were here quickly and put it out,” she added.

“I’d like to thank them for doing such a good job. The duvet is ruined but the mattress is OK.

“The house had just been decorated. The fire service ventilated my home but there is still a smell of smoke. I am hoping that will go away.”

The woman said she had an electric fan on during Tuesday night because it was so hot.

She initially placed it on a ledge but it was getting caught in a window blind so she put it on her bed.

“I placed it on its stand and thought I had switched it off before going to sleep. 

“But it seems I didn’t switch off properly and while I was sleeping the fan toppled over still on,” she said.

“I feel lucky not to have been injured and hope others can learn from what has happened so they don’t have to go through the same thing.

“Also, the fire service asked me if the fan had been electrically checked, which it hadn’t.

“I hope others will learn from this.”

Firefighters used one hose reel and two breathing apparatus to tackle the blaze.

See full story in the Leader

Leave your comment

Share your opinions on

Characters left: 1500

Most Read