Shotton man jailed after attacking three women


Staff reporter (Leader Live)

A MAN who ended up assaulting his former partner, her sister and her mother at a Queensferry pub has been jailed.

Initially John Peter Rees, 32, who represented himself, denied the charges.

He said the CCTV footage from the Queensferry Hotel would prove he was the victim.

But as a trial in August was being fixed, Rees – who had already been recalled to prison by the Home Office because he was on licence at the time – changed his pleas to guilty.

However, he denied he had made contact with them or that he had been spitting at them.

Rees, of Clwyd Street in Shotton, admitted common assault upon Laura Gleave, his ex-partner who runs the pub, her mother Susan Gleave and her sister Emma Gleave.

Yesterday he was jailed for 120 days to run concurrently with his licence recall.

District Judge Gwyn Jones made a two-year restraining order not to enter the Queensferry Hotel and not to contact the three complainants in any way.

Prosecutor Matthew Ellis said Susan Gleave saw Rees pulling her daughter Laura out of the pub and intervened.

But it was alleged he squared up to her, stood on her toes and head-butted her.

It was also alleged he punched her to the left ear.

The three women managed to get him out of the pub but it was alleged he spat at them.

It was claimed he had poked his former partner Laura Gleave in the face with his fingers and threatened to kill her when he saw her on her own.

Her sister Emma Gleave heard shouting and intervened, standing between them to protect her sister and mother.

But it was alleged he threatened her, spat at her and threatened to bomb the pub.

He left saying “This is not over”, the prosecutor alleged.

Rees made a long and detailed speech in mitigation and said that while he pleaded guilty to common assault on the basis of his behaviour, he denied the physical contact or the threats attributed to him.

He said it was a remarkable speech by the prosecution but the claims were not true and claimed the CCTV would undermine the prosecution case.

But the prosecutor said the CCTV showed the assaults.

Rees said he was guilty of defying common sense and attending the pub at his former partner’s request.

But her mother was still there and there had been a confrontation.

It was not pre-meditated, he said, and described it as a wholly one-off incident that got out of hand when it should not have done.

He was not drunk or under the influence of drugs, his memory of the incident was crystal clear, he had contacted the police to make a counter allegation and had been calm and composed when seen by the police.

In fact, he said, he was the only one to have physical injuries as a result of the incident.

See full story in the Leader

Leave your comment

Share your opinions on

Characters left: 1500

Most Read