Wrexham man's caravan destroyed in blaze terror


Garth ApThomas

A POSTMAN has described the terrifying moment his caravan erupted into a roaring inferno.

Alan Levey, 60, said the flames coming off his burning van were so intense they reached 15-ft high.

The blaze, triggered by an electrical fault, spread to an adjoining horse trailer which was also wrecked.

To make matters worse, Mr Levey was worried about the potential for an explosion because of a gas bottle inside the caravan.

The drama took place at about 7.30pm on Sunday at Mr Levey’s home on Coed Aben Road, Wrexham.

“Everything happened in a blur. It was quite a shock,” he said.

“I was having a cup of tea with my wife Diane when the dogs started to bark.

“I went to take a look and saw the caravan on fire.

“It was engulfed in flames. I was worried it would explode because of the  gas bottle inside.”

Although the trailer couldn’t be saved, Mr Levey was able to move his Range Rover away from the danger area.

“When we rang the fire service, they said someone had already told them about the incident.

“Apparently a lorry driver had gone past, seen the flames and dialled 999. We’d like to thank him for raising the alarm.”

Mr Levey said that fortunately, a  breeze took the flames away from his home.

He added firefighters from North Wales Fire and Rescue Service were on the scene very quickly.

He praised their professionalism in tackling the blaze and preventing an explosion.

Mr Levey and his wife had been away the previous day at the wedding of his daughter Amy in Llangollen.

The last time the 18-ft caravan, worth about £1,500 and bought three years ago, had been used was in August.

Mr Levey said he was contacting his insurance company and added the most important thing was that no one had been hurt.

See full story in the Leader

Leave your comment

Share your opinions on

Characters left: 1500

Most Read