DISTRESSED residents have called on a council and the police to put a stop to youths running riot on part of a Wrexham estate.
At a meeting of Caia Park Community Council, residents of Sycamore Road pleaded for more help in dealing with prolific disorder caused by youths.
Also in attendance was acting sergeant Wesley Williams, who vowed to allocate more resources to the area, but warned long-term the problem could be harder to solve and needed the full co-operation of the community.
One elderly resident, who was close to tears as she spoke at the meeting, talked about a recent experience which drove her to suicidal thoughts.
The woman, who asked not to be named for fear of reprisals, said: “These lads sit on my wall, in my garden, eight or nine of them at a time. The trouble I have with them giving me abuse, a load of cheek from them all the time.
“The police came in the end, but they only move down the road to the shops. I’ve lived here for 43 years and it’s never been so bad. If I’d had tablets in my home on Monday night I’d have taken them. I’ve had enough.”
Another resident at the meeting, who also asked not to be named, added: “The other day I had a brick thrown at me and the lad just smirked. They are breaking fences, there are used condoms in gardens. People are petrified to leave the house. You can’t walk the streets.”
Residents acknowledged the situation had improved earlier in the year with an increased police presence, but said the situation with youth annoyance had deteriorated again in recent weeks.
In response, Sgt Williams said: “The issues are ongoing but we are working with tenancy enforcement and housing and know the majority of those involved.
“There was a vast police presence there but we pulled it back slightly. I could move it back there instantly but we cannot keep that resource there forever.”
He went on to make a public appeal for more help from the community, adding: “We need people to go on record, make statements and give us names. We need the evidence so it’s easier to prosecute.
“To do this they can call us on 101 and we would appreciate any help we can get.”
Council chairman Marc Jones said: “It’s got to stop and as a community council we will take action.
“Given the ages of those involved it might be a school enforcement issue with a role for the county council as well.
“The education establishment should be dealing with them, even if they’ve been expelled.”
Cllr Maurice Jones suggested moving security cameras from Pentre Gwyn to Sycamore Road as a deterrent, which clerk Michael Morris confirmed could be arranged.
Cllr Malcolm King said it was ‘horrible’ to hear the torment of the residents.
“It was horrible listening to the things they are going through,” he said.
“I thought we’d turned a corner but obviously we all need to do more.
“It was very upsetting to hear. I’m not surprised people feel that way when their lives are being affected so badly.
“People shouldn’t have to put up with things like that wherever they live.”
See full story in the Leader