Wrexham man jailed after hammer attack on ex-partner

Reporter:

Staff reporter (Leader Live)

A WREXHAM man who launched a hammer attack on his former partner has been jailed for 22 months.

Philip Vaughan Parry, 48, who had been living in a tent close to Wrexham Maelor Hospital, was due to go on trial at Caernarfon Crown Court last month but he changed his plea at the last minute.

He accepted assaulting 35-year-old Katie Jane Garcia on November 3 causing her actual bodily harm.

Miss Garcia received treatment in hospital for a broken nose and other injuries including swelling to the head after being attacked in the tent.

Parry had a substantial criminal record including for common assault and in the 1990s there were convictions for causing actual bodily harm.

His last conviction had been for burglary in January last year, when he received a 50-week prison term.

Sitting at Mold Crown Court yesterday, Judge Niclas Parry jailed him for 22 months and made him the subject of a restraining order not to approach Miss Garcia and not to attend the Maelor Hospital unless in an emergency.

The judge said it was a serious assault on a vulnerable victim, who suffered nasty facial injuries.

Parry had previous convictions for violence but the judge said he also took into account his own difficulties and vulnerabilities.

See full story in the Leader

Leave your comment

Share your opinions on

Characters left: 1500

Most Read