A DOCUMENTARY following self-proclaimed football hooligans which will feature footage from a Chester v Wrexham derby has been met with disdain.
Football Hooligans and Proud will air on Channel Five tomorrow night and follows yobs including die-hard Rochdale AFC follower Lee, 37, who has been the subject of three banning orders.
A short 30-second trailer for the documentary included footage from April’s
cross-border derby at the Swansway Chester Stadium, which finished 0-0.
Chester FC press officer Jeff Banks said Channel Five failed to inform the club or Cheshire West and Chester Council of their intention to film for the hooligan documentary on the day.
Mr Banks said: “Every club has a minority of fans who cause trouble – but we have got a great history at Chester of keeping that to a minimum.
“There was very little trouble at the ground that day and the last thing we want is for Chester fans to be unfairly portrayed.
“Up until we saw the trailer, we weren’t aware that we were even going to be involved in the programme.
“There is absolutely no reason why we should be part of that programme.
“It is disgusting that Channel Five want to portray the club in a bad light and turn what is a great family club into something it isn’t.”
The club has tried to contact Channel Five to express their concerns but have received no reply.
One man – Kieran Cunnah – was jailed after he was spotted launching a smoking missile at a Wrexham FC fans’ bus by police helicopters minutes after the final whistle of the The Swansway Chester Stadium match in April.
Peter Jones, chairman of Wrexham Supporters Trust, said Wrexham FC would not be able to comment without knowing the context of the footage to be featured in the programme.
At the reverse fixture earlier in the season last August at Wrexham’s Racecourse ground, supporters of both clubs were appalled when two banners were unfurled in the home stand understood to refer to two Chester fans, a 21-year-old who died in 2012 and a 23-year-old who died in 2002. It led to an angry reaction from visiting Chester fans.
Seven men were banned from attending matches for their part in hostilities.
The documentary will be aired on Channel Five on Wednesday at 9pm.
Nobody at Channel Five was available for comment.
See full story in the Leader