Wrexham man jailed for beating partner


Staff reporter (Leader Live)

GAVIN Lee Jones subjected his partner to a terrible beating and then boasted about it on Facebook.

He wrote he had not done enough because she was still alive.

Mold Crown Court heard after grabbing her by the hair, kicking her in the face and threatening her with a broken stick while smashing her home up, he posted: “I didn’t do enough, the little rat is still alive.”

Jones, of Percy Road, Wrexham, was jailed for four-and-a-half years after he admitted assault and breaching a restraining order not to approach the victim.

To make matters worse he had two convictions for attacking her in the past.

Judge Philip Hughes said his previous convictions for violence, including two on the same victim, were seriously aggravating features.

He had forced his way into her home at night in breach of a restraining order after he had been drinking.

It was an attack on a vulnerable individual and his Facebook entry shortly afterwards showed no contrition in the aftermath of what he had done.

Prosecutor Emmalyne Downing told how the victim had been in Liquid/Envy Nightclub and saw Jones with two females.

She left but he followed her, saying there was nothing going on, and he was “in her face” and grabbing her arm.

When she got home he pushed his way in and was shouting at her and being aggressive.

She pushed him away but he responded by grabbing her by the hair and throwing her across the room.

The victim was kicked to the face, full force, while on the floor and she passed out.

When she came around her was shouting at her, telling her to get up.

He even told her it was her fault – that she made him do it.

Jones, 24, went on to smash items in her home – including a television and coffee table and over turned a wardrobe – before threatening her with a piece of wood.

It was later he posted the Facebook entry.

As a result she had a fractured wrist and swollen thumb and cheek, her back and neck were sore, she had bruised ribs and carpet burns to one of her legs.

Stephen Edwards, defending, said while a restraining order had been in place, the couple were in regular contact and that day enjoyed a day out with their child.

She described him as a “great dad” and said things had been great until the incident occurred.

Jones had mental health issues, was on medication, and he had expressed remorse for what he had done.

He was determined to change and would put his time in custody to good use.

Jones had a supportive family – and they were also supportive of the complaint and her child.

“My client does wish to apologise for his behaviour,” Mr Edwards explained.

See full story in the Leader

Leave your comment

Share your opinions on

Characters left: 1500

Most Read