Unprovoked attack in Wrexham club sees man jailed


Staff reporter (Leader Live)

A MAN has been locked up after he launched an unprovoked attack on a man in a nightclub.

The blow was delivered with such force that the victim’s jaw was fractured in three places.

Michael Rogers had to undergo surgery on Christmas Day when plates were inserted to repair the fractures, Mold Crown Court was told.

Anthony Roszkowski, of Moss Hill, Moss near Wrexham, admitted inflicting grievous bodily harm on Christmas Eve and was jailed for 18 months.

Judge Philip Hughes said it had to be an immediate sentence and said that should be a lesson to Roszkowski, 21, and to anyone else tempted to behave as he had done on licensed premises.

The judge told him: “You carried out a completely unprovoked attack on someone who had done nothing to offend you.”

It happened in a nightclub in the early hours of Christmas Eve when he had delivered a devastatingly hard blow to his face. There appeared to have been a second blow but it was not known if that connected.

“The one that did connect sent him to the ground and knocked him unconscious. You smashed his face by your violence.”

His jaw was fractured in three places and a tooth had been knocked out, he had spent Christmas in hospital, two other teeth had to be removed and the effect on his life had been considerable.

He lost work, he could not eat properly and “his confidence has been affected by your gratuitous violence against him.”

Judge Hughes said the fact it occurred on licensed premises when he had been drinking were aggravating features but he took into account the defendant had no previous convictions, that it was a single blow and he had pleaded guilty.

The pre-sentence report showed he was a low risk of re-offending and references showed the other side of him.

It was a personal tragedy for the defendant and his family.

Prosecutor Emmalyne Downing said at 1.30am on Christmas Eve at Liquid nightclub in Wrexham the victim was speaking to a friend and wishing him a happy Christmas.

Nearby a number of people were arguing but it was nothing to do with him.

Roszkowski approached and struck him as he was looking away. He was knocked to the ground and was unconscious.

A doorman picked him up and took him to a room to help clear him up but he did not feel safe and left.

After leaving, he realised there was something definitely wrong and got a taxi home.
His mother called the police, he was taken to hospital and there the three fractures were confirmed.

“He had to spend Christmas in hospital. An operation under general anaesthetic to insert plates to repair the damage occurred on Christmas Day,” she explained.

The incident had affected his confidence, he suffered headaches, nightmares and his sleep had been affected, and he was still in pain especially when eating and chewing food.

In a victim impact statement he told how he believed that “severe justice” was required for what the defendant had done.

Ceri Evans, defending, said her client had come prepared for a custodial sentence but suggested it was possible to suspend it. He was a man of previous good character who came from a very respectable, hard-working, close knit family who remained supportive but who were greatly disappointed and ashamed by what he had done.

Roszkowski was a polite and pleasant young man and it was clear the offences were out of character.

He demonstrated genuine remorse and regret, he worked extensive 12 hour shifts for a local company, had not been to Wrexham town centre since and had only drunk alcohol on one occasion since the incident occurred.

If he retained his liberty then he would be able to compensate the victim, she said.

See full story in the Leader

Leave your comment

Share your opinions on

Characters left: 1500

Most Read