WING-MAKING giant Airbus has admitted a health and safety charge after a worker was crushed to death at its Broughton plant.
Airbus Operations Ltd, makers of the wings for the Airbus family, was prosecuted following the death of Donald Williams, of Brunswick Road, Buckley, who died at the age of 62 after being crushed at work.
He suffered a fractured skull in the accident at the factory in November 2011.
At Mold Crown Court the company pleaded guilty to the charge brought by The Health and Safety Executive.
The company admitted that it failed to ensure the health and safety of its workers, including Mr Williams.
Other charges that it failed to assess the risks while working with a Ford 3610 tractor and that it failed to provide adequate training when using the machinery were not proceeded with.
Simon Parrington, prosecucting, said that the company had pleaded guilty to the charge on a full facts basis and that there was no need for the other charges to be put.
The formal guilty plea was entered on behalf of the company by defending barrister Andrew McGee.
Judge Philip Hughes adjourned sentence which will take place in Caernarfon Crown Court on July 17.
An inquest jury has previously returned a verdict of misadventure.
After his death Mr Williams’ wife Sheila said: “Donny was much-loved and respected by all of his family and friends.
“He always lived life to the full and had a long and successful career in motorcycle sidecar racing.
“He had a great sense of humour and enjoyed a pint with his friends.
“He was an all-round great guy. We are obviously deeply upset and devastated.”
See full story in the Leader