Thousands of chicks die in blaze at Marford farm


Staff reporter (Leader Live)

A POULTRY farm suffered a “devastating” loss after a massive shed fire killed more than 20,000 of its chicks.

One man was treated for burns to his face and arms and taken to hospital by ambulance after the blaze at Hoseley Bank Farm, off Hoseley Lane, Marford.

The fire caused 100 per cent fire damage to the shed and the 24,000 chicks housed inside perished.

Investigations by North Wales Fire and Rescue service showed the blaze was started accidentally after a fuel leak from an industrial heater.

Firefighters were called at about 7.35pm on Wednesday after the fire broke out in the shed at the farm.

Three crews and the aerial ladder platform were sent from Wrexham, accompanied by one crew from Johnstown and the incident command unit from Rhyl.

More than 20 firefighters took nearly four hours to deal with the fire, using hose reel jets, main reel jets and breathing apparatus.

The blaze was out by 11.30pm, with fire crews remaining on the scene for another hour.

An administrator at a fellow poultry farm said the loss of such a high number of chicks would have been “devastating”.

Heidi Di-Pietrov, of Annyalla Chicks in Abenbury Way on Wrexham Industrial Estate said: “It would be devastating to lose that number of chicks in one go.

“The chicks are cared for like little pets. To lose something you care for that much would be horrific. They would have been very young. The loss of the shed alone would have been quite distressing.”

She added managers at Annyalla expressed sympathy to the farm’s owners.

One neighbour, who did not wish to be named, said: “I was coming up over the common about 8pm and I saw the blue lights on the engines and the smoke, but it didn’t look too bad.”

Marford councillor Mike Edwards said: “Obviously a business can pick up insurance on these things, but it’s such a shame. It will knock the business for six.

“It’s an awful thing. Obviously I’m concerned for the business, but I’m also concerned for the welfare of the man taken to hospital.”

A Welsh Ambulance Service spokesman said: “We were called at 7.50pm on Wednesday to a fire at a property on Hoseley Lane, Marford.

“A crew in an emergency ambulance attended and a man with superficial burns was taken to Wrexham Maelor Hospital.”

See full story in the Leader

Leave your comment

Share your opinions on

Characters left: 1500

Most Read