Father confronts burglar in daughter's Rhos home


Staff reporter (Leader Live)

A MAN was confronted by a stranger in his daughter’s home, a court was told.

The intruder fled from the scene at School Street in Rhos, near Wrexham.

Danny Thomas Roberts, of Heol Berwyn, Cefn Mawr, was due to go on trial at Mold Crown Court.

He had earlier denied the burglary on December 12.

But he changed his plea and yesterday was jailed for nine months.

Roberts, 23, had already been recalled to custody for an earlier offence of arson, the court was told.

Judge Philip Hughes said theburglary involved a confrontation with the occupier’s father.

He had stolen a computer and damage had occurred, including to some photographs which were of a sentimental value.

Prosecuting barrister Mr David Mainstone said the burgled house was the home of Kathryn Turner, who lived there with her baby.

However in December of last year she was planning to move out and stayed with her parents for a few days.

On December 12 her father, Lawrence Turner, went to the property to empty it and on arrival he noticed a crack in the front door.

It was insecure and when he entered he heard the sound of someone coming downstairs.

“When he entered the living room, Mr Turner came face to face with the defendant,” Mr Mainstone explained.

“Mr Turner demanded to know what the defendant was doing there?

“The defendant simply responded by saying ‘the door was open’ before immediately leaving the property via the back garden.”

Mr Mainstone said Mr Turner looked outside to see the defendant running down the street.

Police were called and several officers searched for the intruder.

He was found within a short time and was identified as the intruder.

When Miss Turner checked her property it was evident that someone had been staying there.

The only missing item was a laptop which had been under the bed.

Interviewed, the defendant admitted he had stayed at the house for a couple of days.

He said the front door was insecure and had already been damaged. Roberts denied he had stolen anything.

Phillip Tully, defending, said his client had been recalled and was in custody.

He asked for some credit although it was accepted he had not pleaded guilty until the day of the trial.

See full story in the Leader

Leave your comment

Share your opinions on

Characters left: 1500

Most Read