Hightown man can marry fiancee after bail conditions altered


Staff reporter (Leader Live)

A MAN who assaulted his fiancee two months before they were due to marry has had his bail conditions altered to allow the wedding go ahead.

Russell Mark Gears, of Weale Court, Hightown, was in the Golden Lion in High Street, Wrexham, on April 6 when he got into an argument with fiancee Janine Evans.

CCTV footage showed Gears, 42, grab bride-to-be Miss Evans near her neck and push her head, banging it against a fruit machine.

Miss Evans was then seen to wipe something from her face, believed to be spit.

Gears said he did not spit at her deliberately but may have accidentally during the course of the argument.

The pair are due to wed on June 5 in a holiday wedding, but an initial condition of Gears’ release on bail was he must not contact Miss Evans at all. But chairman of magistrates Paul Galloway changed the condition and allowed unconditional bail to be granted, meaning it can now go ahead.

Mr Galloway warned Gears, who gave evidence on oath, he could face a heavy punishment if he was lying about the wedding.

He said: “If it is proved to be a lie, you will be brought back to court for perjury and you will be looking at custody.”

Wrexham Magistrates Court heard the couple, who have been in a relationship for four years, had been in several pubs prior to the incident, which happened at about 4.30pm on the day in question.

The argument started in the back room, where Gears was seen to be aggressive towards Miss Evans, before the CCTV camera filmed his assault on her.

After pleading guilty to a charge of assault by beating, the case was adjourned until June 25 for a pre-sentence report to be prepared..

Paul Abrahams, defending, said Gears “fully accepts” his actions but strongly denied spitting at Miss Evans deliberately. He added: “It may be a bit of spittle came out of his mouth as he was shouting.”

See full story in the Leader

Leave your comment

Share your opinions on

Characters left: 1500

Most Read